Mini cannon or grenade?

GeoShooter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Cape Breton
I inherited this piece and I've always loved it. Only recently had I considered loading it (powder only) for occasions such as New Years. My main concern is that it will just blow up. I don't even know what it was actually used for, I assumed a fancy ash tray. The round piece has that little tab that could be used to rest a cig, the wooden 'barrel' might've stored matches, and maybe the cannon itself held a cigarette. Any info regarding original intended use, or use as a noise maker, is appreciated

vcupoj.jpg


1zdydqt.jpg


21j0j.jpg


2v8rgya.jpg
 
I wouldn't suggest using that thing as a "shooter" under any circumstances.

If you want a safe little noise maker and have a buddy that has access to a machine shop/lathe, one can be made easilly in an hr.
 
That's a nifty idea. I remember looking at ones online before, but the propellant was some sort of proprietary stuff in a tube. A homemade one would be pretty plain, the only guy I know with machining tools probably wouldn't spend much time on a project like that.

I just wonder what this thing is
 
I wouldn't suggest using so much as a single match head in that piece. It's a decoration only. Likely made from the zinc/aluminium alloy widely known as "pot metal". And even if it's made from brass as a few spots of the lighting suggests I've seen lots of cast brass items that were made from some alloy that was weak and very brittle.

If you're keen on making a shootable cannon and can't find a buddy with a shop to do it then consider taking a local night school machine shop course. A small bore cannon barrel is a pretty basic job and it would be a great option as a good beginner project.
 
Purely decorative. There was a trend towards decorative cannons in the late 60s early 70s in particular, looks like some of the stuff from that era.
 
Back
Top Bottom