Model 12 20 gauge with 2 1/2 inch chamber

Covey Ridge

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a 1924 Model 12 Winchester 20 gauge with a nickel Steel barrel and 2 1/2 inch chamber? The firearm seems to be in very nice shape? Can the chamber of this firearm be safely honed for 2 3/4 inch shells? Thanks in advance!
 
Lots of them have been recut for 2 3/4 inch shells, 20 gauge as well as 16 gauge which were 2 9/16 chamber up until 1926.

Thanks Mike:)
I was advised that this conversion could be dangerous. I got this advice from a fellow that deals in 2 1/2 ammo, components and roll crimpers;)

I rough measured mine at 2.340 + .25 for the ring that is part of the chamber = 2.590.
 
If your model 12 is in REALLY nice shape you might be better off to leave it as is and shoot 2 1/2 inch in it. Recutting the chamber would lower it's value to a Winchester collector.
 
whether or not you can length the chambers depends on the barrel contour. If the barrel reduces down in diameter fairly quickly after the chamber, the odds are it can't be lengthened. Some barrels, quite often on single shot break actions are fairly thick and run full diameter for the length of the chamber and then a long slow taper to the muzzle. That type could probably be lengthened

cheers mooncoon
 
If your model 12 is in REALLY nice shape you might be better off to leave it as is and shoot 2 1/2 inch in it. Recutting the chamber would lower it's value to a Winchester collector.

It is in sound mechanical shape but it is not mint by any means. I bought the gun being led to believe that it was probably converted. If I keep this gun it will be as a shooter. Not just hunting but clay targets as well. With the price of 2 1/2 inch shells it would cost me quite a bit in a very short time. I may post a few picks and get some opinions on what a fair price may be and just sell it.
 
I am in no way suggesting you do this. Probably blow your arms off.

But, I have a similar gun and shoot 2.75" target loads out of it all the time. When one considers the difference in thickness between the old paper hulls and modern plastic ones, I figure there is not a lot of meat there to up pressures unduly. My gun is very early and very minty and I would never cut the chamber. I used to get all het up about these questions of pressure and what not until I read some articles on the subject in the Double Gun Journal.

But again, that is just me, and I stick to mild loads. Also, I say again, I am in no way stating, implying or otherwise communicating that anyone else should shoot long cartridges in short chambers.
 
there isn't much special about it.........400.oo tops as a daily shooter, likely less on the canadian market, either hone out the chamber or source a barrel....
 
Pretty clean old model 12 especially for a 1914 gun. In my area value would be in the neighbourhood of $700 or thereabouts.

Have to agree for a 20ga here 600-700. A lot cleaner than I was expecting to see. Me I would try selling it before any alteration.
To the other member Poly choke reduces value averahe 20-25% unless you can prove factory installation which if done right is next to impossible

Love the old wagon wheel Covey. I have a few of those in my yard also. :)
 
Last edited:
Have to agree for a 20ga here 600-700. A lot cleaner than I was expecting to see. Me I would try selling it before any alteration.
To the other member Poly choke reduces value averahe 20-25% unless you can prove factory installation which if done right is next to impossible

Love the old wagon wheel Covey. I have a few of those in my yard also. :)

Thanks for the reply. For my area I think $600.00 would be quite high and if I thought I could actually get that I would leave it as is. It's clean but far from minty and when I bought it I actually planned it to be a shooter. All my guns are. I was under the impression that it may have been altered and I paid accordingly. I have had lots of model 12 - 12 gauges over the past 50 years and all of them shooters, but never a 20. I have to load for this gun or cut it. Just keeping it without shooting it is not for me.

Yep I got wagon wheels around my deck and one at the base of my flag pole and my wife has planted a few in our flower beds:)
 
Thanks for the reply. For my area I think $600.00 would be quite high and if I thought I could actually get that I would leave it as is. It's clean but far from minty and when I bought it I actually planned it to be a shooter. All my guns are. I was under the impression that it may have been altered and I paid accordingly. I have had lots of model 12 - 12 gauges over the past 50 years and all of them shooters, but never a 20. I have to load for this gun or cut it. Just keeping it without shooting it is not for me.

Yep I got wagon wheels around my deck and one at the base of my flag pole and my wife has planted a few in our flower beds:)

Very Cool. I will send a few pics in a pm of some of my wheels I think you will like. On the gun try the 600 if no go shoot it. That is providing it is not altered if altered I would shoot it also.
take care
 
On the gun try the 600 if no go shoot it. That is providing it is not altered if altered I would shoot it also.
take care

The way I measured it, it is not altered. For $600.00 I would sell it but I think that is a stretch out here. One post suggested $400.00 tops and that may be closer to what it is worth in Alberta. At $400.00 value, I will alter and shoot it:)

Nice Yard! Cool pics:)
 
It is a nice shooter and not a collector's piece in the current condition. Rather than lengthen the chamber, why not just lengthen the forcing cone (cheaper) and shoot it? You will be using plastic shells with their thin case mouths so any pressure increase would be inconsequential. Regardless, I would do some careful measurements of the chamber, forcing cone and outside barrel contour to determine where the minimum barrel wall thickness is then judge accordingly.
 
It is a nice shooter and not a collector's piece in the current condition. Rather than lengthen the chamber, why not just lengthen the forcing cone (cheaper) and shoot it? You will be using plastic shells with their thin case mouths so any pressure increase would be inconsequential. Regardless, I would do some careful measurements of the chamber, forcing cone and outside barrel contour to determine where the minimum barrel wall thickness is then judge accordingly.

Actually I hope to lengthen the chamber and the forcing cone. Those original forcing cones look harsh. I have done some crude measurements and I think there is enough thickness in the area, but I will have it measured by the fellow who will do the job and decide exactly. In all I think that will be less expensive than buying special components and tools for loading 2 1/2.
 
Actually I hope to lengthen the chamber and the forcing cone. Those original forcing cones look harsh. I have done some crude measurements and I think there is enough thickness in the area, but I will have it measured by the fellow who will do the job and decide exactly. In all I think that will be less expensive than buying special components and tools for loading 2 1/2.

If it were my gun, I would do exactly as you have described. I had one of similar vintage with a solid rib and marked TRAP on the bottom of the receiver but IIRC it was marked as having a 2 3/4" chamber so I didn't have to do any modifications.
 
Back
Top Bottom