model 1871 .43 mauser

577/450

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Location
Sleepyburg AB
I have one of these in the single shot type. It has a 4 digit s/n. No not for sale! Is there any way to date this unit?? Also looking for a bayonet for this old girl, where to look?
It shoots good and is getting better the more crud I get out of the barrel. I do not think it was cleaned for 100 yrs cause now it has strong rifling and getting better the more I shoot and clean.
Thanks for looking
 
DOMINION used to load some kind of PINK smokeless in their rounds, back before they were discontinued in 1968.

Correct loading for the .43 Mauser (allright, purists, 11.15x60R Model 1871) is a .446" diameter round-nosed lead slug weighing 386 grains, propelled by 77 grains of Black powder.

You can substitute SR-4759 for the Black in a 38%-of-Black formula and get the same velocities with the same pressures. For the .43, this would be 77(your Black charge)x.38= 29.26 grains of SR-4759. The SR-4759 was regarded for many years as the perfect replacement for Black in cartridge rifles and was listed as such in many of the older manuals. I have a friend who was shooting it in his .300 Weatherby, bringing it down to under .30-30 power levels, just for fun. It has gone out of production.... and been brought back again because it is needed..... more times than I can remember in my 50 years of shooting.

You can get a nice set of dies from LEE PRECISION (your local gun shop can order them in for you). These come WITH the very special shellholder for this cartridge, so no troubles there. Bruno Gross up in Fairview, Alberta, definitely has brass; I think he calls himself Grizzly Shooting Supply, but he's in the phone book. I don't know of any moulds for bullets in Canada, but there were a couple of nice ones listed last time I got onto MIDWAY's website, starting about 62 US clams..... which is $62.31 by yesterday's rate, so not a horrid penalty for being Canadian this time. And it's only a TOOL, so there shouldn't be any insane surcharge for shipping..... at least, one would HOPE.

Good luck with the little Mouser. They can be a lot of fun!
 
the load I used to use was 72 grs of FFg and a 380gr slug closest we had on hand I guess ....and if your shooting the carbine version your really going to abuse yourself if you shoot that load its the fullsize infantry rifle load, we did some research and found out the load for the carbine was 55grs of FFg with the same size slug it work's great.
 
When I bought mine I got lucky. There was about 50 dominion brass and 30 bullets with it. Also found a box of dominion lead bullets at a gunshow.
For a load I am using 77gr of ffg with a lube cookie and paper wad, It is not for the faint of heart but lots of fun to shoot.
I am not full length sizing just crimping cause the old brass is really thin and brittle
 
My Kar. abuses me something terribly, but it's still one of my pets and has no price.

Nice to know about a special Carbine load; thank you. Only data I have is for the full Infanteriepatrone and we all know how much that can hurt.

Carbines are fun, especially the little Mouser, because they LOOK so much like a .22 single-shot. You can watch guys shooting tin cans with their .22s and then go get your own shortie and nobody notices when you open the bolt and drop in that truly MASSIVE cartridge. They sure notice, though, when the realise that their single-shots are going "pop! pop!" and yours just went "ka-^&%$&*-BOOM!!!".

Really gets their attention.

Only problem is finding the tin can.

Have fun!
 
Got my carbine with a box of shells for $7.00 when I was 12,, long ago, great gun, 2** ser #, marked 1879 and 1888 above that. Some bubba cut the prongs off the front site guard before I was born,, probably. A$$HOLE,, but he hunted with it,, full wood, short barrel..
 
Got mine when I was still in school, too, bought it from the local Wildlife officer for the magnificent sum of $3.

It had been stored in a chicken-coop and when I cleaned it up, the wood was WHITE and there was zero finish left. Under the rust, there was good iron and there was enough fouling in the bore to have protected it. Stock had been cut and the rear sight left was missing, also nose cap, of course, but it was a REAL MAUSER and it was made at SPANDAU and it was made in EIGHTEEN SEVENTY-SIX.... and it was ALL MINE.

Went to the hardware store and laid down $3.65 for a box of Dominion shells and took it out. Only think I knew about Mausers then was that they came in 2 sizes: something called an 8mm (whatever that might be) and the .43.... and the .43 was older.

Got my money's worth (and a fine case of whiplash) the very first time I touched her off.

Wood came back fairly nicely over the years with some oil-finish, but it's still cut.

Still have it and it has no price.

Mousers are just FINE!

Have fun!
 
Shoulda mentioned, you can make that old brass last five-eighths of forever if you anneal the necks. Deprime, stand 'em up to their waists in a cake-pan of cold water, play the flame of a propane torch on one neck at a time until they start to turn blue, then REALLY FAST tip them over into the water. Presto! Magic! You now have soft necks that won't split. Or you should, anyway.

The Sulphur in Black powder really plays Hob with brass, which is the main reason O load smokeless: brass costs much too much to go throwing it away.

Anyway, have fun Mousering!
 
Yeah... those '71 Mausers are something else. I also have a carbine version and it's also cut down. Makes me wonder why people would cut down the full wood stock on a gun that's already this short & light?

Seems to me that if I were to go hunting with one, I'd prefer a full wood version to keep the hands warm in winter and to protect the barrel better, no? Ruger/CZ used to make/still make the "international" models of their rifles with the same mentality, so I just don't get why almost every carbine version 1871 Mauser I see is cut down.

Here's the CZ:

fsfullrhsdevwhz.jpg



And here's the Mauser:

mau_0508-01.JPG



So... why the f**k does one need to cut down the stock on any of them anyway? I love mine, but the cut down stock and the missing muzzle cap really piss me off as a collector. How much does a 5" piece of wood weight anyway... and did it bother someone THAT much? Even if I wasn't a collector, I'd still consider that the '71 carbine looks WAY better and is more practical with it's full length stock. When cut down, it looks like a horse's ass!

(rant over... looking at the above pic and remembering the bubba'd stock on mine really got me going for a minute, lol!)

:(
 
Last edited:
I use smokless to, 25grs. 2400, no fillers with the RCBS .446 bullet mold and a good gong ringer at 200yds.

It's going to the Kamloops gun show to be passed on to someone who will appreciate it with all the accessories...moving on to something different.
 
So... why the f**k does one need to cut down the stock on any of them anyway?

So you can pop the barrel and action out of the stock and hide them in your duffel bag for the ride home from Germany, of course! Mine is cut off flush with the barrel band - they didn't even leave the band spring, so the band comes off unless you put a tight sling on it. And the original sights are missing. Must do something about that someday, but I haven't had much luck finding parts.
 
The quick comparison between the "Ruger" and the '71 is actually incorrect, the "modern" rifle pictured is actually a CZ, I'd rather have the '71!!
 
Seventy-ones
Are lots of funs!

Yeah, I always wondered what kind of dipsh*t would cut that itty-bitty piece of wood off such a nice little thing.

A lot of these were sold on the open market even before the Great War, went for as little as a dollar.

REALLY wish I could find a rear-sight leaf and a nose-cap and a buttplate; buttplate on mine is the one I made in the local blacksmith shop, with the old blacksmith there, telling me what I was doing wrong.... after I did it, of course! Do a job wrong..... sooner or later, you figure out how to do it right; I think that was his theory. I know I've never looked at that part without remembering precisely what I did wrong.
 
So you can pop the barrel and action out of the stock and hide them in your duffel bag for the ride home from Germany, of course! Mine is cut off flush with the barrel band - they didn't even leave the band spring, so the band comes off unless you put a tight sling on it. And the original sights are missing. Must do something about that someday, but I haven't had much luck finding parts.

Mine is cut in the exact same way as yours... and I've seen others like that too. I'm positive this smells like some sort of an organized pattern. I can't believe that ALL of them would just end up hacked up in the exact same stupid way.

Now, the front band spring should be no big deal to get, as it looks very similar to the ones on WWII Mausers. The nose cap is a totally different story though... I think making one that sort of looks accurate is the only option these days (if you can even get a hold of some decent pics of what it looks like). How unfortunate...


The quick comparison between the "Ruger" and the '71 is actually incorrect, the "modern" rifle pictured is actually a CZ, I'd rather have the '71!!

Yeah, you're right.. it is a CZ... It kind of looked a bit off to me as well, but I found the pic labeled as a "Ruger International" so I posted it as such (firearm nomenclature now corrected in my previous post). My bad, but y'all get the picture of the fully-stocked modern rifles I was referring to, right? . And yes, I also think that the '71 has way more personality than any modern rifle of this type.

:)
 
Back
Top Bottom