Model 1878 Vetterli Rifle conversion

stevejones

Regular
Rating - 100%
82   0   1
Location
Courtenay, BC
I am considering converting a Model 1878 Vetterli rifle from rimfire to centerfire. I am posting this thread as I have some concerns regarding the legalities of doing so. My main concern being that once this conversion is done is the rifle no longer an antique? The ammunition is not available and has to be made from 340 Winchester brass but I do not think this is enough. If I do have to register it, what would be the procedure?

Cheers. Steve.
 
Single shot?

So ...converting it to a single shot. Ok, so by disabling the magazine should make it a legal antique. The rifle is in the original Swiss caliber too so I'm in the clear there. So how do I make it a single shot. Is disabling the magazine enough?

Cheers. Steve.
 
If you do chose to register it, you can do it online and put conversion from antique in the line for why was it not previously registered. You will probably get a phone call for complete info from an Ottawa verifier. Alternately you can register it on the phone and again simply say you have converted the gun from a legally unregistered antique.
I am not really sure what the standards are for creating a single shot from a repeater but probably requires some sort of permanent change and you might be able to get away with putting a welding bead on the inside of the hole for the magazine tube to prevent a tube being installed.

cheers mooncoon
 
I've been thinking of this conversion for a while as well.... There are lots of cheap vetterli repeaters out there. Welding or pinning (Even a rivet?? They do it on mags) to prevent the tube magazine from being used should satisfy that requirement.
 
X2 what mooncoon said. Looked at a 71/84 conversion and the verifier said it had to be a "permanent" conversion. Aka - something that can't just be replaced or removed, like a missing magazine or a block of wood in the mag.
 
In the regulations pertaining to pinning magazines it requires the mag to be permanently limited by welding, riveting or epoxy/adhesive. Not sure if the CFC would see this the same way.
 
Why does the mag have to be pinned? It is not a semi auto, so there is no restriction on capacity.

Antique status shouldn't change as long as the ammo is not commercially available.
 
Last edited:
I was under the impression that magazine fed long guns, regardless of age, were registered...

Here it is:
Section 1

Antique firearm

3. A rifle manufactured before 1898 that is capable of discharging centre-fire cartridges, whether with a smooth or rifled bore, having a bore diameter of 8.3 mm or greater, measured from land to land in the case of a rifled bore, with the exception of a repeating firearm fed by any type of cartridge magazine.
 
From the header on a registration sheet:
STANDARD CONDITIONS
Firearm owners must report to the Registrar of Firearms, within 30 days......
- any modification to the firearm that affects its classification (non-restricted, restricted, prohibited);....

Based on the above, it could be sugggested that you obtain a spare bolt, and convert it to centerfire. Keep the rimfire bolt in the rifle as a matter of course. Use the centerfire bolt only when actually shooting the rifle.

This would comply with the letter of the regulation.

FWIW, I know that the CFP refused to reclassify a pre-1898 Mauser as an antique if it were rebarrelled to a plus 8.3mm caliber and converted to single shot by a steel plate being welded into the bottom of the receiver, completely filling the magazine opening.
 
Spare bolt

So...I have managed to aquire (some time ago) a Vetterli that had been converted to 410 shotgun. Low and behold, with a certain amount of cussing, the 410. bolt managed to work. So I suppose if I keep the rimfire bolt in it I should be OK. Know who sells brass?

Steve.

From the header on a registration sheet:
STANDARD CONDITIONS
Firearm owners must report to the Registrar of Firearms, within 30 days......
- any modification to the firearm that affects its classification (non-restricted, restricted, prohibited);....

Based on the above, it could be sugggested that you obtain a spare bolt, and convert it to centerfire. Keep the rimfire bolt in the rifle as a matter of course. Use the centerfire bolt only when actually shooting the rifle.

This would comply with the letter of the regulation.

FWIW, I know that the CFP refused to reclassify a pre-1898 Mauser as an antique if it were rebarrelled to a plus 8.3mm caliber and converted to single shot by a steel plate being welded into the bottom of the receiver, completely filling the magazine opening.
 
So...I have managed to aquire (some time ago) a Vetterli that had been converted to 410 shotgun. Low and behold, with a certain amount of cussing, the 410. bolt managed to work. So I suppose if I keep the rimfire bolt in it I should be OK. Know who sells brass?

Steve.

348 winchester brass works great
 
If its a full length military Model 1878 I would leave it alone, those are not common in Canada compared to the Model 1869/71. You can easily find a cheap cut-down 1869/71 if you want to make a conversion.
 
Conversion

If its a full length military Model 1878 I would leave it alone, those are not common in Canada compared to the Model 1869/71. You can easily find a cheap cut-down 1869/71 if you want to make a conversion.

All I've done is swapped the bolt from one that was already converted. By keeping the original bolt I can swap it back so harm done.

Cheers. Steve.
 
Back
Top Bottom