Model 1894 Stevens Favorite

bhutch

New member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Hey Guys
I was asked by a friend to see if I can get some info on this firearm age and value? Stevens Favorite , half round half octagon, Beaches front sight and Lyman tang . Serial # 7777 . I believe it is 22 LR ? Lots of case colour hardening on receiver. Any help is appreciated.
Bruce


 
Last edited:
Common rifle and configuration, except the peep sight and that globe front sight. Any markings on it? If factory these will add some value to the rifle as a whole. If not then those sights could be worth as much as the rifle.

Does the patina of the rifle match the sight set, or is it obviously aftermarket? I cant tell from the photos.

Does the lever stay tight against the stock or hang loose? These are "swinging" block actions and depend upon the strength of the screws holding the action in to take up the slop. A common mistake folks today (and for several decades) make is to run modern HV .22 ammo through these. It's more an issue of breech thrust than pressure - that wears the screws out, a symptom often displaying as a drooping lever. Another common wear point is the barrel shank, check for play there. Also look to see if it has been knurled, which was done by gunsmiths to take up the slack on a worn shank. Stick to standard velocity max, mine do fine with that (I usually even stick to CBs).

How is the bore? The barrel appears to have some blue still? From the pictures it doesn't show the case coloring (looks like the usual patina) so I'll take your word on it.

If gun has a good bore and is otherwise tight and shootable, NOT considering the sight it would be in the $350-400 range in my neck of the woods BECAUSE it still has "lots of case colouring" and blue (IF original, not recoloured or reblued). That is pretty well top dollar for these, like it or not - not considering that sight. Again, from the photos I'm not seeing the case colouring but my vision ain't perfect so I'm taking your word on that.

IF that is an original sight set, then the rifle would fall higher as a package. It would make it a "No.19", not as common. Fair to say that if it is then this would be a hard one to estimate but see next post, it tempers my assessment on the sight option.

if it is loose with a worn bore, no case coloring/bluing then it should bring $150ish but again not including that sight set. But if the case hardening and bluing remains as you say - and is original - then it should fetch a premium. If refinished and otherwise shootable, it'll likely be in the $200-$300 range with the sight a wild card.

My 0.02 only, worth what you paid for it. Someone else may well have a different opinion on price.

Some history: Coles notes from American Boy's Rifles 1890-1945 pages 67-68: These were made from 1894-1915 when this model was replaced with the Model 1915. There were several variations to the Model 1894 rifle between 1894 & 1915: The No.19 had Lyman sights (sorry I can't find model numbers for the sights, or a picture of the No.19). These included changes to the frame, extractor and some other revisions.

Personally I think these are classy rifles and if you treat them right they can be rewarding to shoot.
 
Last edited:
I picked one up at a gunshow last fall for around $200, same condition, same front sight, folding rear leaf sight, but the barrel has seen better days. Ive seen that front sight on a couple favorites now, I just thought it was a factory option.
Trevor
 
I picked one up at a gunshow last fall for around $200, same condition, same front sight, folding rear leaf sight, but the barrel has seen better days. Ive seen that front sight on a couple favorites now, I just thought it was a factory option.
Trevor

Thanks - probably just my location - closest gun show is a 6 hour drive, once a year at a time of year that's impossible to get time off durin'. I don't see them online and what pops up local usually doesn't have em.

That rifle also still looks grey/brown to me in most of the photos. But it could be my computer or eyes.
 
In the first picture there's a black spot that looks like it's a shadow of the rear sight dovetail. If that's the case then the peep rear is a later addition.

If the bore is in good shape or you are willing to invest the price to have it re-lined these can be a truly fun rifle for plinking. I've got a few various single shot boy's rifles of this sort and with a bunch of reloads stuffed between the fingers of my off hand on the fore stock and a flip and reset steel target at 25 yards out these things are a bucket o' grins.

It's likely a wise option to stick to standard velocity or even lighter loads out of deference to the age and metallurgy of the time. That's provided it's chambered in .22 and not the .25 or .32 rimfire rounds.
 
Hey Guys

Great info, Thanks i do appreciate it . I may have been a little misleading to the comment of lots of case colour harden and I do appoligze ,there is indeed traces of it. The fellow who owns this is not willing to part with it being a family heirloom ,but he was wondering a ball park when it was made . Is there anyway of narrowing it down from 1894 to 1915? I can try and get more pics of sights.
Thanks agian Bruce
 
The rifle you have pictured is an early model. It has the distinguishing feature of the second model Favorite frame which is not found on any other model and that is the sharp corner of the frame formed where the barrel housing portion of the frame turns to extend to the rear.
The first and second models had left hand angle extractors which were in use until 1900. Hard rubber buttplates became available in 1899.
Some early rifles used a bow type mainspring and I have seen one of these that had a small leaf spring fastened into the frame ahead of the lever to tension the lever.
The 1898 catalogue offers the following;
No.17 Plain front and rear sights--- $6
No.18 Beach combination front sights, open rear and vernier rear--- $8.50
No.19 Lyman front, open rear and Lyman peep sights-- $9
 
Back
Top Bottom