Model 94 1921

IMAT

CGN Regular
Rating - 99.2%
125   1   0
I have a model 94 winchester cal 38 55,with a saddle ring and 20 inch barrel made 1921. barrel excellent shoots great action tight over all condition good blue worn off receiver were it has been carried. Question is should I use this old carbine for hunting deer or does it have any collector value.

IMAT
 
Both. Model 94 SRC's in 38-55 can hard to find in good condition, so it has some value (provided no one has ever re-finished, re-blued, or sanded the stock). Without seeing a photo, and just going on what you said, right now it might be worth somewhere between $1,400 to $1,600. BUT it could be worth a lot less than that depending upon what it really looks like. I was looking on an auction site today at a Model 1892 that was advertised as having 80% blue. Ha! It had 0% blue and a lot of dark patina. It was a beater. With a gun like a Model 94 38-55 in your condition, I'd hunt with it for sure. I have some old Winchesters that are worth a sight more than that, and I hunt and shoot with all of them. Hunting is twice as enjoyable when hunting with a vintage Winchester.
 
38- 55 Cal Winchester

Thanks for the info on the carbine,going to try it hunting some deer on the farm . Is the 38 55 cal ok for deer, I was thinking at hundred Yards would make a great brush gun. Gun has not been refinished, and looks ok for it years of service.What is the 38 55 cal best suited for.

Thanks
IMAT
 
Yes, the 38-55 is certainly fine for deer. The current factory ammo is pretty weak, but still fine for deer under 100 yards. The original Winchester H.V. loads put a 255 grain bullet out the barrel at around 1,600 fps. Current factory ammo is closer to 1,200 fps. That will still go right through a deer side to side. I reload my 38-55 cartridges and put them out the barrel at around 1,500 fps. My Model 1894 was made in 1899 and I harvested a Whitetail deer with it three years ago, a 75 yard shot. Last year I got two nice bucks with a 30-30 and this fall I'm hunting with a 44-40. Each year I like to use a different old Winchester.
 
The 38/55 is a great woods round and the 94 carbine is still probably the nicest handling woods rifle around. In my area $1400-$1600 is way high, more like $700-850 in good shape.
 
The 38/55 is a great woods round and the 94 carbine is still probably the nicest handling woods rifle around. In my area $1400-$1600 is way high, more like $700-850 in good shape.

I would agree with this if the rifle is in average condition ie: shows some wear and but still functional with decent bore, and un-bubba-cized.

To be worth $1500 the rifle needs to be in much better condition - excellent wood with no cracks or scars. original sights, no refinishing/sanding, excellent bore and mechanicals.
 
In my area $1400-$1600 is way high, more like $700-850 in good shape.
Note that IMAT has a 38-55 saddle ring carbine, not a 38-55 rifle. I should mention that there is a significant difference in value between the Winchester Model 1894 38-55 rifle and the Winchester Model 1894 38-55 carbine. The rifle version is much easier to find and the value is significantly less than a SRC. I typically see 38-55 rifles available for $700 to $850, but I'm not aware of any 38-55 SRC's in Canada, in good condition (no refinishing, no major chips or gouges, at least 60% blue on barrel and mag tube, excellent bore and mechanics) that are available in the $700 to $850 range. My suggestion of $1,400 to $1,600 was for the SRC in good condition (which is what IMAT has, though condition has yet to be determined), not the rifle. The rifle version of the 38-55 is typically worth only half what a SRC is. Note that this is not the case for the 30-30, where the SRC version is very common.
 
I've purchased 3 Winchester 94's in .38-55 in the last 2 months. One was a 1902 rifle and the others were a 1902 SRC and another that is without a serial number but identifying marks have it manufactured somewhere between 1905 and 1925. The SRC's cost me $800.00 and $900.00 respectively. About 2002, I had a 1905 SRC and a 1913 rifle both in .38-55 that sold for $500.00 & $800 respectively. A lot depends on the condition, the .38-55 SRC's makes the Winchester 94 worth 33% more than a comparable .30-30. The .38-55 has been in existence since 1884 and is good for dear and black bear. If you reload, try 10.0 grains of Unique pushing a 245 grain RNFP, that will give you approx 1,300 fps which is equivelent to currently produced Winchester factory ammo.
 
By gum, Garand. Where were you when I was on the hunt for a .38-55 SRC? After searching around for two years and not finding anything in half decent condition for under $2,000, I finally thought I hit the jackpot when I was able to purchase one for a mere $1,200. At least it was a nice one, lettered as shipped in 1907, with still a fair amount of case coloring on the lever and a lot of finish still on the receiver. If you see another one at the prices you are mentioning, that is in decent condition, PM me, I think I need another one. Here's a photo of the one that set me back $1,200 ....

38-55-SRC.jpg
 
Yeah, I got that he has a SRC, that's what they go for in N.B. even though they are harder to find. I did see one a few years ago that I would pay more for, it was a eastern carbine(no saddle ring) and a flat buttplate, the one with zero pitch, that they made for a few years. It was priced at $400 and I've kicked my ass ever since.
BTW 38/55, that is a beauty!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom