My traditions Kentucky flint has a breech plug at the end, and it looks like it could be threaded out, but ive never had a need to try it....
Are you looking for percussion or flinchlock? On percussion guns, a piece of aquarium air line over the nipple, and placed in a bucket of hot soapy water works fantastic for cleaning. As you work the cleaning rod up and down the barrel, water is sucked up and ejected into the bucket. Makes cleaning a snap. When clean, use hot, clean water, which will rinse and help the barrel dry. A patch with Bore Butter, and you're good to go.
I'm not sure about using bore butter as a protector. I've heard that it is not the best thing to use. Better of using a gun oil.
That's disturbing news. Bore Butter was touted as a metal protector when I started using it many years ago, and it seems to work for me. As you mentioned, cleaning the gun is much easier if it is completely oil-free and BB is used instead. It may not be as good a rust-prevention agent as petroleum-based products, but I've never had a problem with rust in my muzzleloaders while using it. In all honesty, though, I am a bit OC about cleaning and maintaining my guns after shooting black powder, which is all I use in them.
I pull the breech plugs on my traditional muzzle loaders to clean them. I know they are clean when I'm done. They wouldn't be threaded if they weren't supposed to be disassembled. Just take care and don't wreck anything.
I pull the breech plugs on my traditional muzzle loaders to clean them. I know they are clean when I'm done. They wouldn't be threaded if they weren't supposed to be disassembled. Just take care and don't wreck anything.



























