I've managed to come up with some tricks that speed things up for me. But before I get into them I need to offer a contrary thought to what Denisb posted above about filling the barrel then going off for a cup of coffee. I typically use a little detergent in the hot water to aid in cutting any oils so that I can clean the metal more easily. But when left to soak this can result in a flash rust on the metal. So my advice is to dunk or fill and clean right away then patch dry and oil lightly. Each part is washed, dried and oiled fully before moving on to the next. I'm guessing that he's using straight cold water instead which apparently doesn't produce the flash rust I found with hot soapy water. So either apparently works. Just don't fill the bore with hot soapy water and go for that coffee break.
For blind bores what I do is use a shotgun cleaning rod with the proper bore brush on the end. Because it doesn't have the swivel in the handle when it gets to the base of the bore I can give it a twist to bend the bristles to the side so it can be reversed and pulled back out. Otherwise it get's locked in there like a Chinese finger puzzle.
For barrels with reduced size powder chambers at the breech I use a folded over .22 caliber rifle brush so it cleans the end and corners as best it can. This same brush is used with a patch for drying and lightly oiling the reduced chamber as well.
After a couple of brush and rinse cycles the water isn't any blacker coming out and I rinse with hot tap water. The outside is then dried and the inside patched with proper size round jags and patches. Once dry a patch with Ballistol is run down followed by a final dry patch to remove any excess oil.
Pipe cleaners are great tools for cleaning and oiling the flash holes.
For blind bores what I do is use a shotgun cleaning rod with the proper bore brush on the end. Because it doesn't have the swivel in the handle when it gets to the base of the bore I can give it a twist to bend the bristles to the side so it can be reversed and pulled back out. Otherwise it get's locked in there like a Chinese finger puzzle.
For barrels with reduced size powder chambers at the breech I use a folded over .22 caliber rifle brush so it cleans the end and corners as best it can. This same brush is used with a patch for drying and lightly oiling the reduced chamber as well.
After a couple of brush and rinse cycles the water isn't any blacker coming out and I rinse with hot tap water. The outside is then dried and the inside patched with proper size round jags and patches. Once dry a patch with Ballistol is run down followed by a final dry patch to remove any excess oil.
Pipe cleaners are great tools for cleaning and oiling the flash holes.





















































