Monster Shotgun

Mike Webb

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
214   0   1
Location
Southern N.B.
Any of you guys ever seen a 4 gauge. This is one a friend of mine picked up a while back. It was made in England and has British proofs but is marked William Shaeffer, Boston. Weighs about 18 lbs. There were a few empty cases with it entirely brass. From the days of the market hunters. That's a 12 gauge shell on the action for scale.
gun031.jpg

gun028.jpg
 
Reminds me of a photo I saw years ago of a "Punt gun". (do an image search on Google) Huge shotguns mounted on the bow of a small wooden punt and used, if memory serves, to hunt birds sitting on the water on an almost commercial level at times. The photo was in a National Geographic, staring down the muzzle of one of these cannons. :)

Nice find either way, I'd love to know how that thing shoots. Looks like you have an interesting gun room too!
 
Don't think he'll be firing it any time soon. It would be a black powder only proposition and all he has is the old brass cases. Anyway the thing probably kills on both ends. But it is a great conversation piece.
 
I bought one just like it at the Frederticton Gun Show a few years ago but did not have the Boston address. I had seen the one in the photos a few years ago and was surprised to see the one at the show for sale. The unfortunate part was the one that I purchased was completly refinished. I have since sold it and never got around to taking pictures of it. If I remember I got it from a guy from Moncton. Some day when I visiting the present owner I will take some photos of it.
There was a time in the 60's when a guy called me and asked if I ever heard of a 9 gauge shot gun? My father and I went to visit this guy out on Grandview Ave, in Saint John. When we got there he showed us this monster double barrel shot gun. He took the fore stock off to show where it was marked 9. I took the barrels and turned it around and showed him it was 6 gauge. I confirmed it by measuring the bore. I tried to buy the gun which he wanted a $100.00 for. I was working at the shipyard then making less than a $100 a week and couldn't see spending that much on gun to hang on the wall.
I never seen the gun again.
 
Even bigger is the 2 bore, with a 3500gr projectile made of brass. You can buy these for a nice long day at the range. 10 shells cost only $900. Think I'll stick to .22's. That is a nice gun. It might be worth a few bucks.
 
I have seen several of those.
Irv at Custom Gun in Edmonton had one on the wall and there are (were) at least two or three more in Edmonton in the mid 1970's.
 
Check out this monster.


http://jamesdjulia.com/auctions/div_catalog_296_search.asp?search=lots&do=Search&SValue=1284


39913.jpg

39913x7.jpg

39913x100.jpg

39913x6.jpg

39913x17.jpg


MASSIVE, EXCEPTIONALLY FINE R. B. RODDA 4 BORE HAMMER DOUBLE RIFLE WITH CASE AND ACCESSORIES. SN 33896. Cal. 4 Bore. 966 Groove diameter. 3-3/4" Chambers. 24-1/8" Thick, very tightly figured Damascus barrels with broad flat file cut rib with doll's head extension, are fitted with one standing two folding leaf express rear sight. Leaves have thin platinum lines, and are marked for 50, 100, and 150 yards. Bead front sight is longitudinally dovetailed into front portion of rib. Tops of bbls are gold inlaid in English script with "R. B. Rodda & Co. Makers by Appointment to H. E. the Viceroy," on left bbl and "and H. R. H. The Duke of Edinburgh. London & Calcutta." on right. Bbl flats are stamped with London black powder proofs for 6 bore. Large sling eye is soldered to bottom rib. Large round-bodied Jones underlever action has nicely filed fences and long top tang. Non-rebounding peninsula locks have rounded serpentine hammers and are fitted with front action safety bolts which engage at half ####. Action and locks are engraved with about 50-60% coverage of nicely cut closed scroll. "R. B. Rodda & Co." in English script is inlaid in gold on each lockplate. Steel trigger guard extends to ebony grip cap with SN at grip. Dense broadly fiddle figured European walnut full pistol grip buttstock measures 14-7/16" over old "Silvers" pad, and features beaded shadow line right hand cheekpiece, 22 LPI flat top checkering with mullered borders, with vacant silver oval and large sling eye on toe line. Right side near butt is stamped with no. "8", and left side behind cheekpiece has silver no. "2" inlaid. Large matching splinter type forend attaches to bbl with pivoting locking bolt. Wall thickness at muzzle: left -.1995", right -.1994". Drop at heel: 2-5/8", drop at comb: 1-3/4". Weight: 21 lbs. 12 oz, LOP 14-7/16". New custom made high quality oak and gray elephant hide case has brass corners, locks, and central oval medallion, and is lined with burgundy cloth with paper Rodda label. Case has many compartments containing an array of exceptionally well made reproduction ebony and brass accessories specially made for this rifle, including 2-pc cleaning rod, chamber brush with cover, loading funnel, rammer and base, Deeley style powder measure adjustable for between 12-16 drams, brass bullet mold casting round headed Paradox type bullet of 977 base diameter is stamped "R. B. Rodda 4", 3 turn screws, and various oil and striker bottles. CONDITION: Very fine. Bbls retain most of an old re-brown with some slight pitting underneath. Action and lockplates retain 50-60% original case hardening color, still bright in protected areas, turning to silvery gray at normal areas of wear. Color on hammers is quite bright. Stocks retain most of an old oil finish. Checkering has been correctly and nicely re-cut, borders have not been freshened. Action is tight. Bbls are on face. Locks are crisp. Safeties are operable. Bores are excellent, bright and shiny with sharp rifling, but with a few minor scattered small pits. Case is near new. Leather is excellent, as are straps and handle. Interior cloth shows some marks from contact with gun and accessories. Label is excellent, showing artificial aging. Accessories are excellent showing some tarnishing and use, especially the powder measure, and mold which shows considerable use. These large bore doubles are exceedingly scarce, and it would be very difficult to find one in much better original condition than this very high quality example. 4-39913 MGM32 (75,000-125,000) 1
 
Back
Top Bottom