moon clips and 32acp on a 32rf?

^^ Yup. Assuming factory ammo here - Google the SAAMI pressures for .32 ACP; but it runs ~20,000+ AND the diameter is greater (concedingly, not by much) SO your pressures go up more - especially with jacketed bullets. Those would also tear out the soft barrels in short order. Contrast those base pressure with .32 RF which (IIRC) run in the 7,000-10,000 range at MOST. THEN take a hard look at how thick your cylinder walls are, on most .32 RF revolvers they are scarily thin. And some are cast on top of THAT. You've already got the answer, but in short .32 ACP would equate to a hand grenade. And if it didn't grenade, you can be assured it would shoot loose in short order.

Luckily, the cases are too big to fit in the chamber (at least on any of mine) so most folks are given pause at front to ask more questions! I'm also thinking on mine, that reaming out that additional thou or two would REALLY reduce my wall thickness to paper thin. Think ahead too, even if YOU were going to hand load it down, some poor sucker 25 years down the road could be picking up his or her fingers if he or she drops in a factory load not knowing any better. Jump ahead another 25, chances are nobody would have knowledge of the caution.

Reloading for the .32 RF is easy lots of great info here and on the Cast Boolits forum there is a phenomenal thread in their "Rimfire" subforum with a TON of info on the subject. Best thread online right now on that topic IMHO - have a read. Jethunter on here has bullets (or he did, its been a painful long time since I've loaded mine). .32 cal round balls work too but not as accurate.
 
Last edited:
If you can stuff .32 ACP into a cylinder, it will also hold .32 S&W Short, a no-go cartridge. So you will have converted an antique into a prohibited firearm. You won't need moon clips, since .32 ACP has a small rim. While these work well in modern .32 S&W guns that are up to the pressure, +1 on the "don't do it" for safety reasons -- as well as, of course, avoiding jail time.
 
Unsafe. The gun would probably blow up. And even If It was wouldn't be accurate. .32 rim* .32 SC and .32SW Is .312-.314 and .32 ACP is .309
 
Actually .32 ACP is .312" ... I thought it was larger if anything but just triple checked the guide

Well to agree and disagree: I checked and some sources have it both ways. Wikipedia says it's 312 and pistol cartridge lists it as 309. I have measured the factory bullet in in the past as well as i slugged the bore on such pistol and measured 309. Reason I did that is cause I was experiencing flattened/popped primers with .312 lead. When resized lead to 309 problem was gone.
Bulllet i was measured was Privi Part. Again when buying hornady projectiles they are 312 for hollow points 85 g and fmj were 309. So explains It here...
http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/ed_harris_32ACP.html
 
Last edited:
Are you asking because they mention using 32 acp brass here because it needs to be resized.

http://32rimfire.########.ca/

not too sure about 32 rimfire reloaded using matches?
 
I'd be very surprised if 32 rf was available, I've spoken to some knowledgeable people down south. Best answer I got was from Old Western Scrounger, who told me there was a potential for another run of commercial .32 rf, but not in the "near future".
 
Back
Top Bottom