More Bulldogs!

cyclone

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
379   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
From another webiste...:wave:

Here for the corresponding pictures....


A neglicted (and inexpensive) field of arms collecting - cheap American made "Bull Dogs" of the late 19th and early 20th century (edited with thanks to HRF!):




The top and middle revolver in the above image are marked "British Bull Dog" - .38 six shot top and .32 long 7 shot center. The lower 7 shot .32 revolver is marked "Indian Bull Dog" Note the trade mark dog head stamped forward of the cylinder on some F&W Bull Dogs. Some of these revolvers have the Forhand & Wadsworth name and others do not. Yes, they look Belgian, but are in fact American made products of the Forhand & Wadsworth firm.



Various configurations of the Bull Dog big and small. The top one is an "American Bull Dog" .44 5 shot, attributed to Iver Johnson. The lower mid-size frame is found in .38 5 shot and .32 long 6 shot models. The mid-size frame has been observed marked: "American Bull Dog", "Boston Bull Dog" and "The H&R Bull Dog". There are at least three different dogs molded into the hard rubber grips of the large and mid-size (Iver Johnson) Bull Dog revolvers. The construction of the lockwork and the various internal parts are similar enough to cause confusion as to the actual maker (as I know all too well!)



Grips from a mid-size frame "Boston Bull Dog" (but, does that doggie look like a Bull Dog?)



Two revolvers attributed to Iver Johnson. Both have five shot cylinders. Both are marked "American Bull Dog" The one at top is a first model Iver Johnson .32 rim-fire long, the lower revolver is the Iver Johnson 2nd model in .32 long center fire.



The H&R "Young American Bull Dog" uses a small .32 short frame. These 5 shot revolvers are chambered for .32 short rim fire.


Best regards,
Greg
 
I'v owned an awful lot of Iver johnson and H&R made bulldogs... I have been less than impressed 90% of the ivers and 75% of the H&R's.

I have had acouple nice little H&R young american bulldog's though.

In general now I just stick to the big name spur triggers and Hopkins & Allen or Forehand & Wadsworth double actions.

I have yet to have a british bulldog in my possession but I intend to do so one of these days. They look like sturdy little pieces.
 
DSC00246.jpg


Darn, you were talking about guns again! :D
 
Thats a nice little piece, is it tight mechanically?.
Yes it actually has pretty darn good timing for such an old piece. In SA & DA too. One can easily guess that this is a folding trigger type. That is the only part that is worn too the point of not locking up. Is the little 'hitch' that locks the folding trigger in the upward position when it is not in use. Sometimes it stays stowed, sometimes not. Minor issue really.
 
SAM_1595.jpg

Okay...........it's Belgian. But at least it's in .450 Adams.

Can I ask what you use to make ammo? I have a .450 bulldog coming, I already have a .442. Need info on brass and bullets! I heard the .45lc cut down works for the .450 nad possibly .41 lc for the .442?
 
Back
Top Bottom