More info on Martini–Henry Rifle.

Gill_22

New member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
British Columbia
More info on Martini–Henry Rifle.

Hello Everyone

I would like to know more about this gun. Please update if someone is more familiar with Martini-Henry Rifle.

What I know is that its .303 British
Top rib says Army & Navy Co-operative Society London
Side of the barrel says Nitro Proved

Thanks.











 
Last edited:
That is a beautiful, commercially manufactured Martini sporting rifle. The Army and Navy is a famous department store in Great Victoria Street, London, that acted as outfitters for members of the armed forces as well as the general public. My 1912 Mauser sporting rifle came from them in 1913 and ended up in Rhodesia. Two of my handguns came from there as well. Mr Grant Rombaugh here will no doubt be able to tell you a whole lot more than I can. For instance, who made it?

This is a very high quality arm, and would have cost many £££££ when new - it is equally valuable now, although as I live mostly in UK, I'm not up to advising you of its value in Canada. ALL guns made in the UK since 1813 are required to be proofed prior to sale to the public, and this one appears to have been nitro-proofed, dating it to the very end of the 1800's and into the 20th Century. Better images of ALL the stamps on it will enable us to date it to an exact year of manufacture, but I suspect that it will be within the first ten years of the last century.

tac
 
Its definitely not a Martini-Henry, or a BSA Martini Cadet. Looks to me like a Francotte Martini action.
 
I have a shotgun from the army & navy it was a store back in the day where the British officer who was away colonizing the world could order things to make his life abroad comfortable. anything from camp chairs and writing desks to shaving gear and shotguns. Lots of firms, and many individuals made firearms for the army navy and that is the stamp they would place on the guns. I read on line somewhere there is a university in Scotland that has all the records for the firearms, for a fee they may be able to provide some information, sorry I don't have that address. Yours is a nice piece congratulations
 
That is a beautiful, commercially manufactured Martini sporting rifle. The Army and Navy is a famous department store in Great Victoria Street, London, that acted as outfitters for members of the armed forces as well as the general public. My 1912 Mauser sporting rifle came from them in 1913 and ended up in Rhodesia. Two of my handguns came from there as well. Mr Grant Rombaugh here will no doubt be able to tell you a whole lot more than I can. For instance, who made it?

This is a very high quality arm, and would have cost many £££££ when new - it is equally valuable now, although as I live mostly in UK, I'm not up to advising you of its value in Canada. ALL guns made in the UK since 1813 are required to be proofed prior to sale to the public, and this one appears to have been nitro-proofed, dating it to the very end of the 1800's and into the 20th Century. Better images of ALL the stamps on it will enable us to date it to an exact year of manufacture, but I suspect that it will be within the first ten years of the last century.

tac


Thanks Tac

Here is the pic of the only and all marking on gun. I don't know if that would be enough to find all the info on it.

 
Thanks and Im still trying to figure out what it is exactly. Here is another pic for all the markings on the gun and I guess it might give a reference for what it could be.

 
From what I CAN see clearly - sceptres over V, dates it as prior to August 1904. Crown over BP stands for Birmingham provisional proof, only to be expected as it was likely made by BSA & Co - Birmingham Small Arms. The words 'NITRO PROVED' are self-explanatory.

And please rotate the image so that the barrel is vertical.

I love the three-leaf folding backsight - it was probably made for small-game shooting in Africa.

tac

BTW, I personally know of at least three gunsmiths who could replicate this lovely rifle [not a gun, in English usage, a gun is a SHOT-gun, or, if you are a pheasant shooter, then the gun is the title given to the actual person who shoots].
 
Very nice! I knew someone would know a lot about that rifle. Gill_22, don't worry if your other thread about this rifle on General Firearms gets
locked, the moderators simply want to avoid duplication of threads. We are all delighted to be seeing stuff like this rifle on here!:wave:
 
The steel plate with two screws in it immediately to the rear of the breech is for a supplementary set of tang sights, if required.

Close-up pics of the stamps, please, in a vertical orientation.

tac
 
That pattern of sight, with a fixed blade, two folders and a standing leaf is seen on a lot of .303 sporting rifles. Have seen the pattern on Lee sporters as well as an A&N Co. double rifle.
That is a very fine rifle; you are fortunate to have acquired it.
The A&N records have survived, so you may be able to find out who purchased it. I believe that the records are held at the University of Glasgow.
 
Thanks Robert for the heads up as I dont know how to delete the thread. :(


Very nice! I knew someone would know a lot about that rifle. Gill_22, don't worry if your other thread about this rifle on General Firearms gets
locked, the moderators simply want to avoid duplication of threads. We are all delighted to be seeing stuff like this rifle on here!:wave:
 
Thanks and I will try to get more info from them.

That pattern of sight, with a fixed blade, two folders and a standing leaf is seen on a lot of .303 sporting rifles. Have seen the pattern on Lee sporters as well as an A&N Co. double rifle.
That is a very fine rifle; you are fortunate to have acquired it.
The A&N records have survived, so you may be able to find out who purchased it. I believe that the records are held at the University of Glasgow.
 
Back
Top Bottom