Mortars

Have a mortar that drop fired (i.e. having a primer at the bottom of the round that ignited when it struck the bottom of the tube) would be prohibited in Canada, wouldn't it? Besides with a burning fuse you have a long delay (depending on the length of the fuse) for safety.
 
Have a mortar that drop fired (i.e. having a primer at the bottom of the round that ignited when it struck the bottom of the tube) would be prohibited in Canada, wouldn't it? Besides with a burning fuse you have a long delay (depending on the length of the fuse) for safety.

Why?
 
I don't think a cap/primer fired mortar is "illegal" as long as the tube/total apparatus meets the definition of a non restricted firearm as in over 26' in length. A percussion fired tube is a gun, even a deck top cannon with a percussion firing mechanism would be a restricted item. A fuse fired apparatus falls under some sort of "antique" status similar to matchlocks with no size requirements.

Don't ask me for the "appropriate" act sections as I don't have them, I'm just repeating what I was told by a CFO at a cannon demonstration one time.

I think the "exploding air burst" thingies may cause some excitement among the more knowledgeable powers-that be. I one time mentioned that I would like to load my cannon up with a hand full of pistol bullets and give a high flying flock of geese a try, I didn't know there was a fish cop in the group and he got my undivided attention for more than a few minutes explaining why that wasn't a good idea...
 
I think for the time being, cannons and mortars fall into a grey area and so long as they do not become publicly involved in a "problem", I think they will be considered by the firearms offices as signaling devices and therefore non guns. The definition of a handgun is that it is designed to be shot with one hand. If the government wanted to be really fussy about it they could say that a mortar with a fuse is designed to be fired with the one hand holding the cigarette lighter or the match. In that context I think as long as cannons appear to be used as only occasional entertainment in safe locations, the issue of their classification will not come up

cheers mooncoon
 
Have a mortar that drop fired (i.e. having a primer at the bottom of the round that ignited when it struck the bottom of the tube) would be prohibited in Canada, wouldn't it? Besides with a burning fuse you have a long delay (depending on the length of the fuse) for safety.

plenty of people here in Canada have "drop fired" mortars a good number of British 2" mortars kicking around. mortars and artillery fall under other regulations right now artillery first produced before 1946 is no longer regulated that's just for modern breech loaders and mortars
 
here is mine I made
100_0463.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
Back
Top Bottom