Most reliable 22LR rifle?

0faustus0

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I just finished reading “True North” by Elliott Merrick, … a book about living one winter in the interior of Labrador in the 1930s. In the book the author mentioned that they lived mostly off upland game (“chickens”) …. and they would try to shoot a couple every day with a 22LR.

That got me thinking ….

What is the most reliable 22LR rifle out there and that will function reliably out there in the deep winter? Current production ....
And to me … most reliable means … it is simple, does not have many parts that can break … and shoots to minute of chicken. Head shots ….

I am thinking about a single shot bolt action …. Or a single shot break action ….

And I do prefer peep sights .... and wood stocks ....

What’s out there and that has proven to be reliable? Current production ....

?????
 
Last edited:
Ruger American rimfire is bolt action and very light and reliable. But not a single action.No peep sights but you can add a cheap red dot.
 
Last edited:
I just finished reading “True North” by Elliott Merrick, … a book about living one winter in the interior of Labrador in the 1930s. In the book the author mentioned that they lived mostly off upland game (“chickens”) …. and they would try to shoot a couple every day with a 22LR.

That got me thinking ….

What is the most reliable 22LR rifle out there and that will function reliably out there in the deep winter? Current production ....
And to me … most reliable means … it is simple, does not have many parts that can break … and shoots to minute of chicken. Head shots ….

I am thinking about a single shot bolt action …. Or a single shot break action ….

And I do prefer peep sights .... and wood stocks ....

What’s out there and that has proven to be reliable? Current production ....

?????
An inexpensive magazine fed bolt action (truck gun) with open sights would be my choice, for grouse.
 
The 455 will work no doubt. I take it out for hare/rabbit hunting during winter at minus 25-30 Celsius. Doesn't miss a beat.

I also drag a 322 Norinco around in my ice fishing Toboggan. Never no issue with that either but it has a plastic stock.
 
Last edited:
For shooting grouse or rabbits in the bush, anyone with good eyesight only needs the iron sights. While it wouldn't be my first choice anymore, a Cooey 75 was what I used as a kid. My dad had, and now I have his ultra lightweight Deutche Werke single shot. That gun is ideal because it only weighs around 2 lbs and you can carry it around your neck while you do other things like bushwack your way through a forest.

If I were buying new, a CZ with iron sights and a flush metal mag would be good.

1789750078923.png
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom