Most usable antique cartridge rifles?

Grizzlypeg

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Location
Winnipeg
What in your opinion is the most "usable" (vague eh?) antique cartridge rifle out there? What are it's hunting capabilities? Availability? Price range?
 
From the ammunition availability standpoint, .45-70, 38-55, .44-40, etc, might be the easiest to shoot.
Rifle has to be a single shot, over 8.3mm caliber to be antique. From the cost standpoint, sporterized Martini Henry, Snider, Remington Rolling Block, Springfield military rifles might be least expensive. Apart from the Springfield, getting ammunition is a bit of work.
The 12.7 Swedish Remingtons, sported or issue, that TEC has been selling are worth consideration. 12.7 Swedish is awfully close to .50-70, and that is easier than some of the others.
 
I have a Sharps carbine antique in 50 70.
I like the 50 70 but 45 70 is really a better cartridge i think.
 
I really enjoy hunting with my 50/70 rolling block, at least in my rifle it's very accurate and pleasant round to shoot but have to admit 45/70 brass is much easier to source in Canada. It seems the US puts export restrictions on ammo or components that are 50 cal or larger. I can only assume this is to mitigate the use of military grade ammo as I would be really surprised the Talibanis are using buffalo rifles but who knows.
 
I would lean towards a rolling block in 45-70 if you can find one. Main reason being that it can be cleaned from the breach and the shells are easy to buy components for. Your choice in cartridges expands tremendously if you have access to a metal lathe and can make dies and modify molds and so forth. It also allows you to buy an antique frame and rebarrel it as many guns have problems with their barrels.

cheers mooncoon
 
I really enjoy hunting with my 50/70 rolling block, at least in my rifle it's very accurate and pleasant round to shoot but have to admit 45/70 brass is much easier to source in Canada. It seems the US puts export restrictions on ammo or components that are 50 cal or larger. I can only assume this is to mitigate the use of military grade ammo as I would be really surprised the Talibanis are using buffalo rifles but who knows.

Apu, maybe you can bring it out one night to the club when I'm there? I'd love to see it.
 
Apu, maybe you can bring it out one night to the club when I'm there? I'd love to see it.

No problem Grizz, I will also have to bring out that Mauser 1871 we talked about in Brandon. I would have mentioned the Mauser 43 cal but I am just starting to get my components together and have no real appreciation how it will shoot let alone hunt. I will tell you one thing the brass is expensive.
 
I have a Martini Henry full dress in 577-450 that I use. The ammo has become way more readly availible in the last few years, (do to IMR bringing all that stuff from Nepal to the U.S.) and you can make your own brass much cheaper using full length 24 gauge brass shot shell. It also has a large dangerous game rating out to 150 yards. It's still a pretty potent round, and you can't beat the speed in which you can reload a M-H as well for a follow up shot. Besides we are Canadian and it is a British round and firearm, lol.
 
I shot a 45-70 on a Martini action for quite a few years and it was seriously accurate. Very good lock time compared to any of the big hammer designs.
A fast action to work too. I could almost compete with the lever actions for speed in some events.

A couple of issues though: Lacking a tang it was hard to mount a tang sight for long range work. And many of the competitions are American in origin and the rules specify external hammer guns.
 
I like my 1881 Marlin in 40-60 marlin (similar to40-65 win). The cases are resized from 45-70gvt brass and slings a 408gn bullet at aprox. 1600 fps. Seems quite usable to me any way.
 
I'd have to agree any single shot or repeater using a case based on the .45-70 as a heavy duty gun. If simplicity is mandated - Rolling Block.

For a light duty long gun, most .44-40 repeaters would be the ticket
 
I'd put the Springfield and the rolling block at the top of the list, then the Mauser 71, the Snider, and the Martini-Henry at the bottom. The M-H was awesome for its intended use, but the lack of any kind of safety makes it a poor choice for hunting. Plus, the ballistics aren't really superior to the .45-70, and the brass and bullets are harder to get.

The Snider is a bit safer, thanks to the hammer. The brass is expensive, but lasts longer than M-H brass. The accuracy and ballistics aren't bad, as long as you load with BP and avoid the smokeless squibs that some people advocate. The rainbow trajectory leaves very little margin for error when estimating range, so get lots of practice!

The Mauser 71 is great, relatively modern, easy to load, has a real safety, and good ballistics. The lack of an ejector does take some getting used to, after using modern bolt actions. The Mauser would be tops if brass wasn't so hard to get. Also, some of the long rifles have accuracy issues due to the method of attaching the nosecap.

The Springfield is generally accurate and reliable, has good sights, and most have both half and quarter #### notches on the hammer. It seems safer somehow, when the hammer isn't so far away from the pin when the rifle is "on safe". It also has an ejector that throws the empty cases clear of the action. .45-70 reloading components are everywhere, and relatively inexpensive. There are entire books about loading cartridges specifically for it. Stay away from Custer's copper cased ammo, and the Springfield will make you very happy. If you can afford one.... :(

The rolling block is number one, it is simple, safe, and strong, field strips in seconds, and is one of the few old rifles that you can easily clean from the breech. Parts are readily available, and you can re-barrel the action easily to whatever calibre suits you. The stock does have rather excessive drop, and the design makes it nearly impossible to rectify that, without looking ridiculous. The best thing about the RB, is the price. Most folks can still afford one!

I don't even mention the Sharps, Ballard, High-Wall, etc. because only oil barons can afford them. :(
 
Back
Top Bottom