Mounting a heavier optics on a mountain rifle

I'd rather be able to carry more water than a heavy scope or rifle when in the mtns, I know it'll get lighter. Or allow for an MSR stove and fuel so I can have a hot coffee or meal if I feel like it. If you can't get it done with a scope like a light 2-10x42 or even a 44mm objective, it's likely a krapshoot anyway. Never hauled a bipod either, can always have something to rest the gun on around, and packs, fanny packs, work just as well as a bipod.
 
A heavier optic on a light mountain rifle isn’t automatically a problem, but it does change the feel of the rifle more than the raw weight number suggests. Once you get into the 25–30oz class—especially with a NF—you’re adding the equivalent of a full extra pound high on the gun, so the balance shift is noticeable.
 
Back
Top Bottom