MP marked Winchesters? (Klancher)

MadDog

Bang Flop <br>Super Moderator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
209   0   0
Do any of you guys here have an MP marked Winchester as seen in Klanchers book?

Seen alot of Savages with it but I'd like to know if there is anyone here with an old Winchester marked RCMP rifle.
 
Do you mean the NWMP cartouche on the stock?

The one on my 1876 Carbine is barely legible but I'll see if I can get it to show up in a picture after work if you'd like.
 
Here is one on 1876 Carbine.

05_fs.jpg


I have seen the same marks on a Snider Carbine that I had once also.
 
I guess you have already seen this in

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5925801/1

After I looked at the postings, I see you are part of the thread.

Oh well I will post this anyway


Re: another mp marked one [Re: Calhoun]
99trix
Campfire Ranger

Registered: 08/14/06
Posts: 2327
Loc: Alberta, Canada I spent some time with Don Klancher at the Calgary gun show last April. I specifically asked him about his book and the MP marked savages. He said he doesn't stand behind his book about the MP marked savages being RCMP rifles as he did when he wrote it. Too many samples have shown up, there are at least 3 variations of the stamp (RCMP only had one). Extra dollars for 2 letters = a lot of fakes. I asked if the rifles would have been stamped by Savage and he said no, the RCMP stamped all of their rifles themselves. He said the best would be knowing the history of the rifle and having proof (which he has of the rifle pictured in the book), next would be the MP stamp on a rifle that letters to T. Eaton Company in Toronto as they supplied the RCMP.

Blair


Also this on Joe Salter's site
http://www.joesalter.com/detail.php?f_qryitem=10494
 
Yep, thats why I wanted to see if anyone here had a barrel marked with it.

Thanks for the pic of the stock though!

I don't believe Salters gun is an actual mp gun, if it was it would have the markings that yours does, to many guns in the same serial range all have the same MP marking on them and there is no way they all made it into the U.S. especially the fact that alot of 99K's (engraved rifles) have the same mark. I'm quite certain the mounted police were not buying high end rifles to throw in scabbards and ride on horseback with.
 
Something to be aware of: The stamp with "NWMP" enclosed in a crescent border, as pictured above, was in fact a Winchester Factory Stamp .... i.e. applied by the manufacturer on NWMP contract carbines before shipment. If that precise mark appears on any other type of firearm it is spurious!

It is my understanding that the original stamp surfaced a few years ago and ended up being sold to someone ..... after which, the mark started appearing on various "newly discovered" NWMP-issue firearms. Quite laughable on anything other than a Winchester ... at least to someone who knows the truth.

A good example of such a "funny gun" is the Martini-Metford cavalry carbine I own which has this exact stamp on the stock! (Especially 'funny' in view of the fact that there was no known use of Martin-Metford cavalry carbines by the NWMP .....)

[EDIT] Now that I have access to my home computer, here is a photo of the spurious Winchester-style NWMP stamp on my Martini-Metford cavalry carbine:
MM_05.jpg
 
Last edited:
Good info, thanks for posting.

Something to be aware of: The stamp with "NWMP" enclosed in a crescent border, as pictured above, was in fact a Winchester Factory Stamp .... i.e. applied by the manufacturer on NWMP contract carbines before shipment. If that precise mark appears on any other type of firearm it is spurious!

It is my understanding that the original stamp surfaced a few years ago and ended up being sold to someone ..... after which, the mark started appearing on various "newly discovered" NWMP-issue firearms. Quite laughable on anything other than a Winchester ... at least to someone who knows the truth.

A good example of such a "funny gun" is the Martini-Metford cavalry carbine I own which has this exact stamp on the stock! (Especially 'funny' in view of the fact that there was no known use of Martin-Metford cavalry carbines by the NWMP .....)
 
Back
Top Bottom