Musket Caps Availability in Canada?

Lonesome Donkey

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Central Alberta
Anyone know where large musket caps might be obtained?

The type used on American Civil War Rifled Muskets.

Cabela's does not stock them, nor Wholesale Sports.

Rusty Wood Trading Co. is one source, but they are out of stock.

Also, what is the protocol for shipping these, since they are explosive, like primers.

Anyone with experience recently in these matters?
 
Thanks for all of the replies. It gives me some options.

I also did some research and brainstorming for alternate solutions if anyone is interested:

1) Use a replacement nipple that uses #11 caps obtained from Track of the Wolf.

2) Buy a "Mag-Spark" adapter from "Warren Custom Outdoor Products" in the USA, a fusil device that uses 209 shotgun primers.

3) Make them out of swaged and shortened .22 LR spent cases. The rim is only .003" larger than the O.D. of a musket cap, so it should fit inside the cup of the hammer on firing.

A) Paper caps inside the altered casing could supply the priming, with perhaps some 4F black powder over the caps for good measure.

B) Perhaps a pistol primer could be crazy-glued inside the altered casing. It would fit.

C) Potassium Chlorate and Sulphur priming mixtures exist on-line if I wanted to make them.

D) Strike-anywhere match heads could be powdered and used according to on-line sources.
 
Mag-Spark. Used them with great success, and they ship.

Never, ever, ever Dry fire (no 209 primer in place), the cap damages easily (life lesson 1)
Buy 2x caps at time of purchase. Fiddly little things and tall grass (life lesson 2)
 
Anyone know where large musket caps might be obtained?

The type used on American Civil War Rifled Muskets.

Cabela's does not stock them, nor Wholesale Sports.

Rusty Wood Trading Co. is one source, but they are out of stock.

Also, what is the protocol for shipping these, since they are explosive, like primers.

Anyone with experience recently in these matters?

Lonesome,

We just got our shipment in Thursday night from USA. They are going fast and we have more on order.
Call or email orders.rustywood@shaw.ca to place your order if you have not found any yet.

http://www.rustywood.ca/powder.html

Peter
 
Also found some in a Canadian Tire in Nova Scotia last fall. If you go to Canadian Tire's website, put in your postal code you can see if anybody near has some. Haven't found any since in store.
 
If your stuck, I could part with a tin. Am in Calgary. Went through exactly the same thing you are, so totally get it. Lots of places have them but they won't ship.
Think I ended up going through rusty wood in the end though, and as I type I see they have some, so I would get on that asap!
 
I always used RWS caps when I did Civil War events. The CCI caps were OK if at the range but NOT in formation shooting.
The RWS caps are formed with 4 cuts to make a rim, they usually stay together when fired.
The CCI caps had double that amount and when the cap detonates it sometimes sprays brass into the face of the man next to you.
 
Back
Top Bottom