Musket ID

bang_on_sk

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Location
Northern ON
I just acquired a flintlock musket, and was wondering if I could get some info on it, origin, value, etc. It's about 6' long, and the bore is about 7/8", full wood stock, wooden ramrod. I suspect it's a trade musket of some sort, but the person I got it from claims it came with the family from Armagh to the US around 1620, then to Canada during the Revolution (Loyalist family). I'm not sure what it says on the lock, it's pretty rusted, maybe "LOCK"...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n11mfe57ze32dnc/Photo 2016-04-27, 5 57 59 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2jmc1enocdirjh3/Photo 2016-04-27, 6 01 46 PM.jpg?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
It is not a trade gun, in the sense of a gun made for the fur trade, Hudson's Bay/Northwest Company.
The lock is latter part of the 18th century at the earliest. Forget 1620.
Did it ever have a trigger guard? Buttplate?
Might have been made up from parts by a gunsmith.
Sure is a big honker.
Guns not unlike that were used in Newfoundland, although I don't think that is what this one is.
 
Thanks Tiriaq, apparently it was 1690, but I didn't think it was that early. I've attached some more pictures. There was a trigger guard at some point, two screws/nails behind the trigger, one ahead, but there's no holes from a butt plate. I like the safety mechanism, never seen one like that.

The family's history doesn't put them in Newfoundland at all, they moved to the Kingston, ON area.

It's a big beast, and the barrel thickens a lot towards the breech, it looks like it's been well used!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y45ptjfj9yja5vp/Photo 2016-04-27, 7 12 58 PM.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo92p8f46mjepew/Photo 2016-04-27, 7 11 24 PM.jpg?dl=0
 
The bridaled frizzen is latter part of 18th century, early 19th. The safety dog came earlier, but was retained for many years. I think that the gun is a waterfowler. Market hunter. Dog catches like that were used on flint and percussion guns well into the 19th century. Big, plain utilitarian work gun. Guns like that were used in NFLD, but would have been used for the same purpose elsewhere.
 
Back
Top Bottom