Muzzeloader Essentials?

gastch

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking at getting my first muzzeloader and am looking at putting a list of things together that I need to also get besides powder and bullets. I have watched the TC world of muzzeloader video so I have some idea what I need but want to be sure I have what I need and not what thry are trying to sell me. Also does anyone know where I can order a TC Pro Hunter FX in Canada?

Thanks
 
*Warning* Black powder shooting can be addictive, think of it a black coke.

I have a Hawken percussion muzzle loader and you don't need much to get started (besides the rifle of course).
A container of black powder or substitute such as Pyrodex, round balls or conical bullets, patches for round balls, patch lube if not pre-lubed, bullet/ball starter, ramrod, percussion caps, cleaning patches and black powder solvent/cleaner (hot soapy water works great). Don't forget eye/ear protection. I don't think I have forgotten anything.

I haven't tried a in-line rifle to date.
 
Last edited:
Get a copy of Lyman's BP Handbook & Reloading Manual. Good read. First thing to know is that loading BP firearms is done by volumn, not weight.
Epp's is a TC dealer, but there must be somebody closer to you.
 
The Gun Dealer sells Dimensions and Ventures but sells nothing bp. I'll have to call and see if he will at least order the gun without charging me an extra arm and and a leg. Good idea on looking at the kits as a reference. They seam to all sell small qty of most things you need but I would think one would go thru all the patchs and stuff pretty fast. What works best presaturated patchs for cleaning and pre seasoned patchs or buying the stuff seperate? Probably get more bang for your buck buying seperate in larger quantities.
 
It sounds like your buying a modern 209 ignition ml. If that is the case you do not need most off the items an older type ( flint or cap ) ml would use. Buy a few types of mz bullets and sabots, a good anti-seize compound for the breechplug and ml powder. I used Triple 777 for practice and bullet testing as it is reasonably inexpensive then I switched to Blackhorn 209 to sight in and hunt with. It costs more but you don,t use water to cleanup, just use bore cleaner. Chuck Hawks Gun & Shooting On Line is a great websight for reference and info. Have fun, be safe and practice lots if you plan on hunting so reloading is effortless when buck fever kicks in:)
 
I joined the army just because of the unlimited .50 cal patches and gallons of CLP

Also...Anti seize! I prefer the TC tape, but also used the automotive stuff with success. All of this is for naught if you can't get that *&king breech plug out. I uses hot soapy water after a range day, but swap with windex between shots. Lot's of gadgets out there...everybody wants you money.
 
TC Pro Hunter FX has a fixed barrel ,,u can't switch out barrels ..when shooting HORNADY ,POWERBELT,SHOCKWAVE OR BARNES bullets they all come with a plastic sabot ,no borebutter or lubricants are needed .if u use loose powder BLACKHORN 209 is the cleanest and clean-up with hot water and dishwashing soap ..i use the T7 PELLETS 2pellets is all that u need for hunting ..250 gr. bullet will put down most big game if u do your part .. don't overstudy it its not rocket science ..enjoy it ..


modernmuzzleloader forum
 
Back
Top Bottom