Muzzle loader 101

spec0PER4TiVE

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never even fired a muzzle loader yet, however, I wish to purchase one so I can stay in the woods longer this season ;) I have always used a rifle (30.30, .303, 30-06, .308) so i have zero knowledge regarding muzzle loaders.

If anyone could offer their experiences, both good and bad, regarding this topic, and even recommendations as to durable, reliable, cost effective brands of rifles, bullets, black v.s smokeless powder, scope mounting, anything that you feel would help.
 
Some of this is going to depend on your budget, I have used a bunch over the years and ended up staying with a TC Pro Hunter. I also ran Knights for a bunch of years and they were great also, I just prefer the TC. If it were me looking, I would stay away from the Spanish made junk as for a few dollars more you can get into a USA made one. Look for an inline model that uses 209 primers. Don't try and overhorsepower yourself with magnum powder charges either. 100gr of loose powder or pellets will kill anything that walks north america. Muzzleloadind is a journey that never stops and it's a blast.
 
I have no suggestions on inlines, but if you're looking for a sidelock then it's tough to go wrong with a Lyman Great Plains Rifle ("GPR" if you want more results from the Google) or a T/C. Good entry level pricing (should still be under $500) and real quality.

Loading the Holy Black is a bit of an art and needs some learnin' but it is NOT a steep learning curve. Staying organized in the field with your patches, caps (or flints/priming compound), RBs and powder is the key...best suggestion is to see if your local club has a Black Powder chapter and drop in because there is no substitute for hands-on experience with these. Loading procedures, basic safety, and clean up are some of the key topics you'll want to learn more of. Really depends though on what style you're looking for before everyone jumps in with specific tips.

Good luck and keep yer powder dry
 
If you are not concerned about being "traditional", I highly recommend the T/C Impact, it an inline using 209 primers, breaks open like a single shot shotgun, easy to clean, awesomely accurate, and I have seen them for under $300 new. Use Pyrodex pellets, super easy.
I also have a side lock percussion, it's very fun but for hunting, it's hard to beat the Impact.
T
 
The best way to start is with a cva wolf kit .it comes with everything you need to get started for under 400$.D
 
I have never even fired a muzzle loader yet, however, I wish to purchase one so I can stay in the woods longer this season ;) I have always used a rifle (30.30, .303, 30-06, .308) so i have zero knowledge regarding muzzle loaders.

If anyone could offer their experiences, both good and bad, regarding this topic, and even recommendations as to durable, reliable, cost effective brands of rifles, bullets, black v.s smokeless powder, scope mounting, anything that you feel would help.

Answers to your questions could fill a book so you need to do some research and talk to folks who do the m/l game. I will offer one piece of advice even though there are some who would disagree. FORGET ANY IDEAS ABOUT USING ANY SMOKELESS POWDER IN ANY MUZZLELOADER - NO EXCEPTIONS. Use only the real thing, Pyrodex or the other BP substitutes. I use only real BP and after more than half a century of shooting it I still have both hands and all my fingers...
 
The very first thing to spend your $$$ on is the Lyman Black Powder Manual. Read it from cover to cover - MANY times - and then ask all the questions you can think of. Remember that folks have been making fools of themselves with BP firearms since the middle 1300's, until the invention of the cartridge less than 150 years ago - with a sequence of things to do that must not be changed in any way, safety and concentration on the job in hand are of paramount importance with a loose-loading firearm.

It's already been said, but I'll say it again - join in a club where BP shooting is part of the club scene, watch and learn and then do.

tac
 
I would urge you to consider a traditional rifle. If you buy an inline, and scope it, you really have just added "more of the same" to your arsenal. Go out on a limb here, and give a trad rifle a try, it just might open up a whole new world for you, as it did for me 35 years ago. Re-learn the art of iron sights. Work on your hunting skills so that you don't need to rely on long shots in the dim light to get your deer. I'm betting that if you give it try, you will discover the magic, and your world will shift a little bit, for the better. Oh, my vote for entry level rifle would be a Lyman Great Plains. If you really want the bug to bite you, get a kit, and build it yourself!
If you do, check out http://www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com/
 
First decide what you want to get out of muzzleloading. If it is just to get an extra season, then go with the inlines, 209 primers, scopes, sabots and even smokeless in a savage don't even think that you're supposed to feel bad about it. May as well go stainless while you're at it. That's where I ended up.

However, that's not where I started. I swapped a Ruger Mark 11 heavy barrel for a Italian Hawkin 25 years ago because I liked the guns, but quickly discovered I liked the season more. Theres nothing wrong with that. If you want to go the traditional route shoot whatever interests you. I'm going out shooting with a couple cap and ball revolvers in a few minutes because its fun.
 
I second, third and fourth, any gun made by Thompson, I have owned sidelocks and inlines made by them and have never had an issue quality wise. Consider they were in the business when you got a parts kit and made/shaped and finished the stock of the gun yourself. I was lucky to get one of the very first 209x50 Encores that came into the country almost 20 years ago. Guess where that gun is the first week of November every year since, yep slaying swamp donkey's. I currently shoot a pure lead .357 double saboted bullet on top of 100 grns of loose FFFG Triple Seven. I can freehand 4 into a 2 inch circle at 100yds and I take little credit. This is just one of those guns that shoots where you point it.

Black powder is a definite learning curve but far from a voodoo ritual. Nothing like having to wait for the smoke to clear on a cold morning to wonder if you actually connected with what you were shooting at. Knowing the gun does what it is supposed to helps but there is always that little voice going "maybe I missed" LOL.

Here's last fall's score that I spent 45 minutes sitting wondering that went 30 yds but never saw him go down cause of the smoke hanging in the air at 7:30 opening morning. Priceless
 
Back
Top Bottom