Muzzle loader noob looking for info on introductory pistol

Dj_Squelch

Regular
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
The long and short of it is that I'm new to the muzzle loading game and am interested in a muzzle loading pistol that I can pick up for around $200 (accessories not included). Yes I have my restricted, yes used is fine. Please give me some guidance.
 
I see from your trader rating you are not new to the EE have you put a WTB on there, it sure worked for me as I have a BP revolver on the way......:)
 
Last edited:
Looking for recommendations on make/model, flinter vs cap, loads,?

Pretty much. I've shot both modern and classic (is that the term?) muzzle loader rifles in the past but never a muzzle loader pistol. I don't know whats crap or whats great bang for buck. I seem to be leaning towards the classic style right now but weather it's a cap or flint doesn't matter to me. Nobody where I live has one and none of the stores here carry them so I just need a shove in the right direction please. :D
 
Well, I'm no great shakes for recommendations - I'm just getting into things myself.

If you don't own any muzzle loading gear, a cap and ball gun will be slightly easier to provision for (no need for flints) and easier to learn how to shoot (once again, no issue with flints, priming, damp days, dull flints, soft frizzens etc)

Then again, it's not that difficult overall anyways :p

This is a good place to look up your options - don't know about their prices, but they're canadian!

http://www.loyalistarms.com/handguns-01.html


Also, you can fortunately make many blackpowder accessories yourself! Other than bullet molds and variable measures - powder horns, ramrods, gear bags, short starters etc etc etc can all be made yourself - cuts down on the startup costs :)
 
Thanks for the info folks. I'll hit wholesale sports while I'm in the city today and see what they have. If I don't get talked into one right there by those silver tongued devils I'll do a bit more reading and likely put an ad up on the EE. Thanks again!
 
Hit the auctions!! My friend just scooped a Pedersoli Le Page in .36 at a great price IMHO the term, "entry level" is a nice way of saying " cheap crap".You could probably build a decent underhammer pistol.You might be able to pick up a totally thrashed original and put a modern barrel on it.The very best available[in my opinion], are the H.E.G.E. Siber .33, the top three Pedersoli's, the Kuchenreuter, the Mang and the Le Page and a custom built.These are all bloody expensive but do go surprisingly cheaply at some auctions.But remember, no matter HOW fine you set your trigger, youy still have to squeeze it![Wish I could remember that!!]
 
Back
Top Bottom