Muzzle Loading Shotgun

gerard488

Regular
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I just found a muzzle loading side by side and one nipple is missing. The hole that goes from the cavity under the nipple into the barrel looks big, I need to determine if it as the right size or if it has been drilled, And , if it is too big to safely fire. How big should it be. I cannot get the nipple out of the other barrel to check that side, don`t want to chance breaking the nipple.
Thanks in advance.
 
Most modern USA made rifles use 1/4 X 28 threads, but an antique could be almost anything. There are lots of standard sizes available, both English and metric. There are also oversized ones available if you just need to tighten it up. These guys have a selection, just to give you an idea... http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples.html. If you have to go to an oversized thread, you will need a tap to match...
As for the frozen nipple on the other side, judicious use of heat might help...but use caution.
Oh, almost forgot...disclaimer, I have never dealt with these guys mentioned above, and I am not recommending them in any way. This is just information!
 
Word of warning! The Possible Shop has some counter guys that get on thier high horse regarding the subject of striving to get an antique firearm into shootable condition. It's amazing what can be merely assumed just over a telephone conversation.
I ran into this stubborness very recently and took my business elsewhere to Dixie Gunworks.
 
trackofthewolf.com is another business with a good selection.
It is really hard to suggest the best course of action with respect to this shotgun. Nipples must be screwed in properly. A blown nipple is really dangerous if it were to strike someone.
 
In addition to agreeing with Tiriaq, if the gun is pre 1900, one of the common threads on european guns was 26 tpi rather than 28 tpi. I would suspect that on the barrel with the frozen nipple, you might have to chase the threads out, whatever they might be and use and oversize matching thread on the replacement nipple. From the sounds of things the other barrel needs to be rethreaded and a very oversize threaded nipple used. Bottom line is that you would be extremely wise to find someone who is familiar with cutting non standard threads as well as being knowledgeable of muzzle loading guns, and have him / her do the work

cheers mooncoon
 
The nipple is not the problem, it is the passageway from under the nipple out into the barrel. Shouldn`t this be a small hole?
 
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. I've seen both. A smaller passage, with the nipple bottomed out is probably best.
 
"...need to determine..." Got a verner calipre? Measure the hole. Mind you, if it has been drilled there likely won't be any threads.
"...Word of warning!..." No mention of it being an antique, but if it is, there are other things to look at first. The barrel being one.
 
Back
Top Bottom