Muzzleloader Explodes Like Grenade, Takes Off Shooter’s Fingers

The muzzleloader in the first pic looks like my .50 Knight USAK by the action I can see.
Too bad it didn't blow close to his knacker's, it would have taken him out of the gene pool.
 
Unfortunately, I do think this will be looked upon by the anti-hunting/gun community as just more "stupidity" from a hunter/gun owner.It certainly not a positive story,about firearm ownership and behavior. Not sure if the guy who did this should even be allowed to own a gun, could have killed himself or somebody else he handed it to. I know it was a accident but, why would someone take apart shotgun shells so they could reload and keep shooting .Doesn't seem like he was a person with much experience at black powder shooting or reloading for certain. Just speculating ,but I think there had to be alcohol or drugs involved because there doesn't seem to be any form of rational thought from anyone in that group.
 
More of interest to me is that the US-made rifles instantly exploded into fragments, but none of the European/Finnish rifles did...

Europe and certain other countries have the CIP - an international organisation with compulsory legally-binding international standards of manufacture and gun-proofing with the power of government-imposed law behind it.

The USA has only the SAAMI, who have provided a set of figures and dimensional standards and safe working pressures voluntarily adopted by the American National Standards Institute, itself just another voluntary body with no power in law that is not derived from the results of successful litigation in the event of a person-damaging ka-boom.

tac
 
Last edited:
he should take the barrel left-overs and beat his son to death with it. clearly his genetics have too much red-neck in them.
 
And a set of London or B/ham proof marks would have done what????




"Europe and certain other countries have the CIP - an international organisation with compulsory legally-binding international standards of manufacture and gun-proofing with the power of government-imposed law behind it.

The USA has only the SAAMI, who have provided a set of figures and dimensional standards and safe working pressures voluntarily adopted by the American National Standards Institute, itself just another voluntary body with no power in law that is not derived from the results of successful litigation in the event of a person-damaging ka-boom.

tac[/QUOTE]
 
@oldstarfire - no US-made firearm is sold here in Europe, or any other the CIP countries, without having been subjected to gun proof. It would not have saved this guy from his own stupidity, but it does ensure that standards of materials are maintained.

My point, with which you seem to be taking issue for some reason, is that none of the guns made to CIP standards blew up, and the American-made guns did. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

tac
 
My impression is that some guns are factory proofed (such as Winchesters) while other US manufacturers pull random guns from the line and test those, depending on their ability to manufacture to highly repeatable standards. I am also under the impression that most or all of the guns which have blown up, would have met european proof standards and have blown because of various forms of stupidity or carelessness of the person doing the loading. An example of a cartridge gun blowing up was shown in the Double Gun Journal some years ago where the shooter had loaded his shells with an unintentional mix of pistol powder and Pyrodex. Some shells worked Ok and actually were all Pyrodex while the one that blew up was a roughly triple maximum charge of smokeless pistol powder. From many years ago was a fine british shotgun that was shot with what sounded like one of the shells used in an industrial cannon for shaking the scale from a kiln. (heavy charge of powder plus a heavy solid lead slug)
I think that whether a barrel fragments or simply splits largely depends on what steel it is made from rather than whether or not it has withstood a proof charge. My impression is that the guns that have blown up have been shot with well over a proof charge

cheers mooncoon
 
he should take the barrel left-overs and beat his son to death with it. clearly his genetics have too much red-neck in them.

I watched a metrosexual type male step in front of a truck because he was looking at his smart phone and not where he was going. I didn't ask him but I assume that he would not be one of those people that you call "redneck". Apparently the poor fellow is not too bright and should follow your advice to murder his children like you suggested for the redneck. Seems a bit harsh to me but whatever. :)
 
My impression is that some guns are factory proofed (such as Winchesters) while other US manufacturers pull random guns from the line and test those, depending on their ability to manufacture to highly repeatable standards. I am also under the impression that most or all of the guns which have blown up, would have met european proof standards and have blown because of various forms of stupidity or carelessness of the person doing the loading. An example of a cartridge gun blowing up was shown in the Double Gun Journal some years ago where the shooter had loaded his shells with an unintentional mix of pistol powder and Pyrodex. Some shells worked Ok and actually were all Pyrodex while the one that blew up was a roughly triple maximum charge of smokeless pistol powder. From many years ago was a fine british shotgun that was shot with what sounded like one of the shells used in an industrial cannon for shaking the scale from a kiln. (heavy charge of powder plus a heavy solid lead slug)
I think that whether a barrel fragments or simply splits largely depends on what steel it is made from rather than whether or not it has withstood a proof charge. My impression is that the guns that have blown up have been shot with well over a proof charge

cheers mooncoon

That was a good post.
 
@oldstarfire - no US-made firearm is sold here in Europe, or any other the CIP countries, without having been subjected to gun proof. It would not have saved this guy from his own stupidity, but it does ensure that standards of materials are maintained.

My point, with which you seem to be taking issue for some reason, is that none of the guns made to CIP standards blew up, and the American-made guns did. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

tac

I'm going ahead and concluding I'm glad I bought a Tikka and not a 700!
 
I'm going ahead and concluding I'm glad I bought a Tikka and not a 700!

Conclude all you want from the video of deliberately obstructed barrels if it makes you feel better; but it was Sako and Tikka who had the massive recall when their stainless barrels were spontaneously disassembling with factory ammo a few years back.

Yep, that was all in one sentence.
 
Slightly OT, but while I was in Finland a few years back, mine host, younger son and I went to Riihimaki to make a SAKO factory visit. Interesting to see that ALL the barrels and actions are made in the SAKO section, and then the line splits and some go to the Tikka production line.

They all get test-fired with the most bangish proof-load, too, in accordance with the requirements of the CIP proof test loads. They were very disinclined to comment about the reported kabooms mentioned above.

tac
 
Last edited:
Oh man, I guess to some gunpowder is gunpowder....80 or more grains of shotgun powder...I cringe, I need time to take this in here so I can wrap my mind around this...wow.
 
Back
Top Bottom