Muzzleloader parts from the US

Fyn

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Location
Strathroy, ON
I know there's a recent thread about importing antiques/muzzleloaders from the US, but wasn't sure how they pertain to parts and was curious if anyone on this forums has experience with this, before I make some phone calls.

Need several small parts (was going to order a Frizzen, ramrod spring, touch hole liner, etc.) for a flintlock rifle (Traditions), I emailed Traditions, they will ship to Canada, but the gentleman was pretty honest and basically said their minimum shipping fee sucks to Canada (starts at $35USD).

I live 30 minutes from the border, and often ship items to a depot and pick them up to save on shipping. Been years since I've imported any firearms parts from the US (from what I remember you needed to fill out a small parts exemption form for ITAR/State Department) and those were always shipped to Canada. But as far as I understand muzzeloaders are essentially non-guns, so when it comes to small parts for them, are they essentially non-export controlled pieces of metal, or would they still be considered gun parts?
 
Muzzleloader parts are not an issue with export under itar. Check with state laws from where you are buying the parts from. Never had any issues in buying ML parts. Some Eastern may be somewhat more restrictive. Always declare muzzleloader parts upon entry into Canada. Saves a lot of grief.
 
Track of the Wolf and Muzzle loader builders supply shipping is pretty decent from what I recall... if it were me, $35 to **not** have to drive an hour, go through customs twice, possibly wait/get searched etc.. fiddle around with the mail depot etc. is well worth it. ... but that's just me ;)
 
Thanks for the responses guys.

Emailed Deer Creek, they just sent a short reply saying "sorry, we don't have parts for this gun". Don't see any of the parts I need listed on Tracks website, but I am going to order some flints from them.

I'd rather not drive over, and deal with the hassle. I've never had a problem before picking up hunting stuff, archery, etc. but obviously it's always a possibility if you say it's anything gun related. I'll have to call Traditions and see how much shipping will be and with who. If it's going to be a minimum of $50CAD and they ship with a courier who is going to tack on a brokerage fee, could easily waste $100 on shipping fees, not including any fees from the CBSA. Obviously it's a pain unless you make a trip out of it or are ordering from multiple places.
 
What is wrong with your existing frizzen (or do you have it) - those can be re-hardened AND/OR possibly something else will fit. (Call track and ask them !)

A spring you can make pretty easy and same for the liner.

Not familiar with the Traditions stuff ... what does the ramrod spring do?? is it a coil or flat spring?
 
I'm new to flinters, but its seems pretty scored/gouged up. I've been reading about re-hardening them, I may give that a try but I'm assuming it should be cleaned up first?

Don't need a liner really, but I figured if I was going to order some parts it wouldn't hurt to have a few spare parts on hand since I'm paying for shipping.

The ramrod spring, from what I can, is a leaf-spring of sorts, that sits between the front lock screw and the stock to keep tension on the ramrod. It currently is missing and the ramrod simply falls out of the channel
 
I'm new to flinters, but its seems pretty scored/gouged up. I've been reading about re-hardening them, I may give that a try but I'm assuming it should be cleaned up first?

If it sparks well then you don't ~need~ to anything to it, they will get chewed up after use anyway... and eventually the hardened layer will wear away and it will need to be hardened again. Lots of info on Google on how to harden.


Don't need a liner really, but I figured if I was going to order some parts it wouldn't hurt to have a few spare parts on hand since I'm paying for shipping.

Liners go a very long way for more reliable ignition. I highly recommend one if you can.

The ramrod spring, from what I can, is a leaf-spring of sorts, that sits between the front lock screw and the stock to keep tension on the ramrod. It currently is missing and the ramrod simply falls out of the channel

That sounds annoying :) in a traditional muzzle loader one of the pipes would be ever so slightly (ever so slightly!!) out of alignment so the rod is held in with friction alone. Again, you could make one or re-purpose one from something broken (say a busted magazine spring) .. spring stock you can order on the internet or any metal supply will carry what you need.

then again making all that stuff is a lot more hassle than a car ride and a rectal exam at the border eh? ;)
 
If it sparks well then you don't ~need~ to anything to it, they will get chewed up after use anyway... and eventually the hardened layer will wear away and it will need to be hardened again. Lots of info on Google on how to harden.




Liners go a very long way for more reliable ignition. I highly recommend one if you can.



That sounds annoying :) in a traditional muzzle loader one of the pipes would be ever so slightly (ever so slightly!!) out of alignment so the rod is held in with friction alone. Again, you could make one or re-purpose one from something broken (say a busted magazine spring) .. spring stock you can order on the internet or any metal supply will carry what you need.

then again making all that stuff is a lot more hassle than a car ride and a rectal exam at the border eh? ;)

Haha for sure. The gun in the PA Pellet model, which is pretty funky. It uses an inline breech plug basically with a touch hole on the side.

I'll see what I have around my shop for a spring, but yes its damn annoying!

I'll look into hardening the frizzen (have a bit so far) if sourcing one seems to be too much of a hassle. It seems to spark reasonably decent, but didn't know if the roughness would contribute to poor flint life.

One thing I have found is alot of people recommending using a hardening compound, whereas some other recommend simply heating/quenching it will accomplish a similar hardness. I have access to everything I would need, minus case hardening compound. Any experience with either process?
 
Haha for sure. The gun in the PA Pellet model, which is pretty funky. It uses an inline breech plug basically with a touch hole on the side.
So you would have to drill out the touch hole for a liner anyway? Liners are simple to make and disposable. Sounds like you have things well in hand there :)

I'll see what I have around my shop for a spring, but yes its damn annoying!

When the RCMP banned the "High capacity" 10-22 magazines I had to cut up a GSG 125 round mag (GRRRR!) - but I got a good 10 feet of thick flat coil spring out of it :)

I'll look into hardening the frizzen (have a bit so far) if sourcing one seems to be too much of a hassle. It seems to spark reasonably decent, but didn't know if the roughness would contribute to poor flint life.

Probably yes would be my guess, you could always just knock off any burrs with a file and it should be fine. Flints will not last nearly as long as you think. Would be a thought to have more than several on hand and possibly bone up on how to freshen them.

One thing I have found is alot of people recommending using a hardening compound, whereas some other recommend simply heating/quenching it will accomplish a similar hardness. I have access to everything I would need, minus case hardening compound. Any experience with either process?

I have never used casenit so can't really comment - though I did (unsuccessfully) try to find some once. From my understanding it is used to harden something that is not normally harden-able. i.e. mild steel. and only gives a thin layer of hardened material. So my guess is that it is just a compound that adds carbon to the steel much like case hardening with bone and charcoal does.
I would guess you are better off hardening the frizzen traditionally... though a can of casenit would come in handy around the shop from time to time.
 
sean69 said:
So you would have to drill out the touch hole for a liner anyway? Liners are simple to make and disposable. Sounds like you have things well in hand there :)

Sorry I should've worded my previous posts better, it has a liner, I was just considering getting some spares.

sean69 said:
When the RCMP banned the "High capacity" 10-22 magazines I had to cut up a GSG 125 round mag (GRRRR!) - but I got a good 10 feet of thick flat coil spring out of it :)

That's such a shame, at least you got some use out of it I guess

sean69 said:
Probably yes would be my guess, you could always just knock off any burrs with a file and it should be fine. Flints will not last nearly as long as you think. Would be a thought to have more than several on hand and possibly bone up on how to freshen them.

For sure, plan on ordering a dozen from Track to have on hand

sean69 said:
I have never used casenit so can't really comment - though I did (unsuccessfully) try to find some once. From my understanding it is used to harden something that is not normally harden-able. i.e. mild steel. and only gives a thin layer of hardened material. So my guess is that it is just a compound that adds carbon to the steel much like case hardening with bone and charcoal does.
I would guess you are better off hardening the frizzen traditionally... though a can of casenit would come in handy around the shop from time to time.

For sure, I guess I dont have much to lose by trying to harden it up, especially considering I have pretty much everything here
 
Just try as is. Load it up and if it sparks and fires consistently you are good to go. Track of the wolf might have the liners as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom