Muzzleloader scope

I surmise that you are talking about an inline muzzleloader, not a sidelock.

In that case, any good quality, low magnification optic will work. I use a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4X and a Leupold VX1 2-7X on my inlines.

The higher magnification is for target shooting and the low magnification is for hunting.

A friend of mine has a Leupold VX1 1.5-4X and swears by it.

Stay away from the 3-9X scopes are they are too much magnification for actual muzzleloader hunting distances.
 
Stay away from the 3-9X scopes are they are too much magnification for actual muzzleloader hunting distances.

Except when you have to be 100% sure that the deer silhouetted against the bush is antlerless.

or

It's a last light / first light shot

or

You do have an oppurtunity at a large animal at an extended distance, and you put the pre-season time in at the range.

200 yrd plus "open prairie" shots with an inline muzzleloader are not that uncommon, especially in AB / Sask. That being said, I would rather invest in a quality fixed 6x than spend the same amount on a variable.
 
It's a last light / first light shot

if it is low light you do not want high magnification. You will see alot more with a 4x40 then you will a 9x40.

100% sure that the deer silhouetted against the bush is antlerless.

weapons sight systems are not how you confirm the legality and saftey of a shot.


You do have an oppurtunity at a large animal at an extended distance,

4x is tons of magnification for 200 yds. Any more and you just see the wobble more.
 
I used 9 power to pass up a spike. With out hi magnification I would have shot it thinkin it was a small doe. Th ears almost completely cover the spikes. Some times it helps
 
Back
Top Bottom