Muzzleloading Supplies in Nova Scotia

SeamusMac

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Location
Nova Scotia
Hi All,

Just received my first ML, 58 cal H&R Huntsman, and I’d like to canvas any Nova Scotian shooters to see where they get their supplies? TIA!
 
There was a problem with the H&R. Huntmans guns when they first came out and I believe there was a recall at the time.The early guns had knock out a breech plug that could let go if you had a hang fire and happened open the breech up to check it out and if the gun fired the plug would come back at you.The plugs were later replaced with screw in plugs to stop this
 
Thanks for the replies fellas.

This rifle has a push-in style plug but it can’t be fully removed without taking the barrel off so it is at least slightly safer than the 45 cal version if I have a brain fart and open her up after a hangfire and she goes off. The plug can only back out about an inch before it’ll hit the frame. I believe the plug can be fully removed on the 45 cal version simply by breaking the action open.

I’ll send a msg off to Brian to see if I can get geared-up! I found some Pyrodex RS and some minie balls but no caps and I’d rather use Real BP and round balls.
 
What about JD's in prospect. He's a older guy, and a older shop. He usually has old obscure stuff. Heck found a old waxy box of 357 rem max when I had my TC contender.
 
Just heard back from Brian and he has Goex and caps in stock. Round balls coming in next week so I should be all set.

Going to call JD’s as well, he’s a bit closer so that’s a good option too.

The previous owner of the rifle had a roundball load worked up with 50 gr of FFFg that was quite accurate but I’ve read that FFg is more appropriate for this caliber. Should I expect different results if I switch to FFg or should I stick with a known load? I won’t have more than one short session on the range before ML season starts and I don’t want to spend too much time mucking about.
 
Thanks for the replies fellas.

This rifle has a push-in style plug but it can’t be fully removed without taking the barrel off so it is at least slightly safer than the 45 cal version if I have a brain fart and open her up after a hangfire and she goes off. The plug can only back out about an inch before it’ll hit the frame. I believe the plug can be fully removed on the 45 cal version simply by breaking the action open.

I’ll send a msg off to Brian to see if I can get geared-up! I found some Pyrodex RS and some minie balls but no caps and I’d rather use Real BP and round balls.


I have the Huntsman in .45 and it also has the feature in which the plug will not extract unless the barrel is removed.. I think it was a redesign from the original after that earlier problem was identified??
 
Good to know TBL! The history of revisions for these rifles isn’t entirely clear from what I’ve read.

Have you tried anything other than round balls in your’s?
 
No I've only ever shot round ball in this gun. I found that I had to buy .433 cal balls to get them to fit. I had originally bought .44 to go with my .01 patches.. but they were too tight, so maybe it isn't a true .45 cal, I dunno.
Then I found trouble with a weak firing pin spring that wouldn't set off the caps reliably. I fixed that best I could by taking apart receiver, cleaning things up and trying to stretch the spring gently. She fires but I don't trust it for hunting really, especially as I need something scoped for my eyes it would seem. ... I also stripped and refinished the wood in pine tar, so at least she's nice looking!
 
Back
Top Bottom