My .43 Mauser

You are correct the fore stock has been cut or "sporterized" but it's B marking, rear sling swivel located behind trigger(in the infantry model it's part of the trigger), and pistol grip trigger guard ext are absolutely correct for a Jaeger rifle. I am pretty darn sure it is. :) Even with it unfortunate bob to the furniture it still remains a fairly rare piece compared to the much more common infantry model.

I agree and stand corrected. If it had not been sporterized, it might have fetched $2K+, in the US anyways.
 
This guy`s prices seem pretty whacked.

Sort of like the guns you see at the gun shows that haven`t moved in 3 years.

They go for more in the US. But he`s at least twice as high as the other dealers I see there.

And some of them are quite high.
 
This guy`s prices seem pretty whacked.

Sort of like the guns you see at the gun shows that haven`t moved in 3 years.

They go for more in the US. But he`s at least twice as high as the other dealers I see there.

And some of them are quite high.

I agree, he has some nice stuff but his prices are at least 2x higher than almost anywhere else I have seen. His gunbroker auctions seem to relist in perpetuity. I guess if your in no rush to sell that is one way to do it.
 
Is .43 Spanish the same thing?

To add to what Pete04 already said.

.43 Spanish is similar to .43 Mauser, but not the same.

I was able to locate a lonely original .43 Spanish cartridge I have here to compare to some original .43 Mauser(from 1876 dated to Dominion stuff).

Most of the dimensions are close enough not matter and are very close to what the Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions has listed.

The .43 Spanish is a little shorter (.115"). But the biggest difference is the rim diameter .625" for the .43 Spanish (HLM of CC has it at .635") as compared to .570 to .585" for the .43 Mauser.

As smellie mentioned, I also have a box marked for both .43 Mauser and .43 Spanish. The older Dominion boxes are only marked .43 Mauser Model 71.

I`m guessing that although the larger rim stops the use of .43 Spanish in the .43 Mauser, .43 Mauser would work alright in the .43 Spanish.

Dominion probably caught wind of this and decided to list it on their boxes.
 
Last edited:
Normally the "Spanish" uses a .439" bullet and the .43 Mauser uses .446" minimally but usually .450", though there are alot of surprises when measuring bores on these old guns.
 
It sez on this here box of DOMINION ammo:
"For use in rifles designated: Pour les carabines marquees:
43 MAUSER 11MM SPANISH"

Actually, if you make a new extractor for the critter, you can make up your own brass from some of that .300 Win Mag that the rich guys throw away.
.

Is there a source for the dimensions for the extractor? Making it from 300 Win. mag is something I have not heard of but it sure is good to know!

Cheers, Steve.
 
extremely pricey he...

better try your luck at gun shows. That's where I found several hundred over the last year, for a fraction of the cost of that Bertram brass
 
I form from 348 Winchester, time consuming but works, I also use 45/70
I have a 71/84 model short rifle, 1888, has the 446 bore, the 71's
If you want, can shoot 45 cal lead pistol slugs, my friend has an original
Custom sporter from Germany with double set triggers
He's also used jacketed bullets, I use the lee 385gr flat nose
Which is same style dominion used, , also worked some red , blue dot loads
Which are pennies a pop, Teflon tape patching
Also had my gun case coloured by Oskar Kob. I
Garuntee it's one of a kind, lol, be happy to talk
Load data, text cell 902-623-2279, always have time to talk
 
I'll be doing a YouTube video loading 43 Mauser with
No press, just basic tools, I make them sitting in my bedroom
Will let you guys know, I'll be using 45-70 cases also 348
And original dominion, I did have a head crack on a dominion brass
Case, split, dominion cases are known for it, Rim in towards primer pocket, very low pressure
Load 14gr red dot, with filler, I patch the bullets with Teflon
Tape. I also hand lube them with SPG BEFORE PATCH
LITERALLY ZERO LEADING AFTER 12 or more rounds
I have developed these loads which are not in any load book
Though I've done my homework with pressure curves and powder
Burn rates, I've got dozens of low budget loads for this caliber
That given a gd bore , shoot one ragged hole at 75yrds
 
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to getting the old gal shooting.
There's no .43 brass to be had at gun shows in this neck of the woods. Rare as hen's teeth.
There was a fellow that had a box of shotshells for it, but he wanted like $100, IIRC.
And of course that's not going to be something you're going to shoot.

I got bullets from the bullet barn.
What kind of powder should I be looking for?
You like Red Dot?
 
Try 29 grains of SR-4759 with a 385-grain bullet.

This should duplicate original performance, with pressures no higher than original.

SR-4759 is a Sporting Rifle powder very closely related to the ancient "Bulk" powders of the early days of Smokeless. It has been in production/out/in/out/back in a coupl more tims just since I started handloading back in the '60s.

You can use SR-4759 as a Black Powder substitute in MOST Rifle cartridges by calculating from the Black Powder load, times 38 percent, to give you the SR load. Black charge for the .43 Mauser was factory loaded with 77 grains of Black, so you multiply (77 x .38 =) 29.26 grains of SR-4759. This load duplicates original military performance. It produces the kinetic energy of a .30-30 but combines it with the sheer WALLOP of Thor's Hammer: Mister Moose WILL go down!

DO have fun!

Hope this helps.
 
Loads for the 43 Mauser could not be simpler - use published 45-70 loads for the Springfield Trapdoor. There are dozens of them.
 
Use this load, if you have red dot , 14g of red dot, use a Dacron filler or toilet tissue, both work
I'm using the 385 grain bullet, put enough Dacron to keep powder against the primer, std large
Rifle primers are fine, 50 yard accuracy is awesome, given steady aim and gd bore in barrel
I'm using both 348 cases and 45/70 cases reformed, I do have regular 43 brass
That I use
 
BTW, I notice that the Adolf Frank (ALFA HAMBURG) 1911 Catalogue (reprinted as ARMS OF TH WORLD - 1911) show th Jager '71 as an in -stock item on Page 11 at 36 Marks or $8.47 Canadian.

Interestingly, it is listed as the "MAUSER 71 J.B.", so there's your "B". "Jagerbuchse", perhaps?

Page 20 has the correct ammunition at 130 Marks or $30.59 per box....... of 1,000 rounds.

Bullets are 36 Mark/1000, brass is 90 Mark/1000, brand new. That's $8.47/1000 for slugs (less than a cent each) and (90/4.25=) $21.18 per thousand for fresh brass: just over 2 cents. Let's see Norinco even TRY to beat those prices!

Gee, maybe a penny actually CAN buy something!

Hope this helps.
 
Loads for the 43 Mauser could not be simpler - use published 45-70 loads for the Springfield Trapdoor. There are dozens of them.

No hijack intended but, if 45-70 Trapdoor loads work for .43 Mauser (11.15x60R) would this apply for .43 Spanish (11.15x58R), .43 Egyptian (11.43x50R) and M77 Werndl (11.15x58)?
 
Back
Top Bottom