My 50cal miniture BP cannon

gnmontey

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
GunNutz
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Location
AB
Finally got her finished.

Started life as a 7" long X 1-1/4" dia cylinder pin. Was a bit of a challenge boring it out on my mini-lathe to say the least.

Cannon1.JPG

Cannon2.JPG

Cannon3.JPG

Cannon4.JPG

Cannon5.JPG

Weighs in at 2 lbs with the truck.

Now to find somewhere safe to try her out at.

M
 

Attachments

  • Cannon1.JPG
    Cannon1.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 447
  • Cannon2.JPG
    Cannon2.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Cannon3.JPG
    Cannon3.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 446
  • Cannon4.JPG
    Cannon4.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Cannon5.JPG
    Cannon5.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 446
Last edited:
How did you attach the trunnions, 10-24 ish machine screw thru & threaded into the barrel?

Machine screws through the trunnions into very shallow threaded pockets in the bbl, then silver soldered with 45% silver solder. Mig would have been better, but I don't have access to one.

Keep in mind this project has not been proofed yet.

I predict the truck will fail first (carpenter I am not), followed by the trunnions. The bbl is 1-1/4" in the breech area so I have some faith in that for now.

I can't do long tapers on my mini-lathe so I'm a little disappointed in it's aesthetics:(

M
 
Machine screws through the trunnions into very shallow threaded pockets in the bbl, then silver soldered with 45% silver solder. Mig would have been better, but I don't have access to one.

Keep in mind this project has not been proofed yet.

I predict the truck will fail first (carpenter I am not), followed by the trunnions. The bbl is 1-1/4" in the breech area so I have some faith in that for now.

I can't do long tapers on my mini-lathe so I'm a little disappointed in it's aesthetics:(

M

Yup looks great don’t knock yourself on the truck , a lot of thought went into those things
 
I can't do long tapers on my mini-lathe so I'm a little disappointed in it's aesthetics:(

On my lathe, I can only taper the length of the cross feed so I turn the tapers as a series of segments and file out any bumps between the segments. Can't remember the angle but I think it is between 1/2 degree and 1 degree. A lot less than you might think and you can break it up with reinforces if you want

cheers mooncoon
 
Well for what it's worth, i like the way it looks. Just don't put 100 grains of powder in it :)

Good luck!


Machine screws through the trunnions into very shallow threaded pockets in the bbl, then silver soldered with 45% silver solder. Mig would have been better, but I don't have access to one.

Keep in mind this project has not been proofed yet.

I predict the truck will fail first (carpenter I am not), followed by the trunnions. The bbl is 1-1/4" in the breech area so I have some faith in that for now.

I can't do long tapers on my mini-lathe so I'm a little disappointed in it's aesthetics:(

M
 
On my lathe, I can only taper the length of the cross feed so I turn the tapers as a series of segments and file out any bumps between the segments. Can't remember the angle but I think it is between 1/2 degree and 1 degree. A lot less than you might think and you can break it up with reinforces if you want

cheers mooncoon

How the heck do you do that? Turn a series of steps and then taper each step?

I have been tempted to try the offset tail stock technique but can't get my head around how one ends up with a symmetrical piece in the end.

M
 
offset tail-stock works but have you to turn between centers, if not it buggers the jaws on the chuck, either the work has to bend and on a small lathe the chuck likely is the weakest link

looks great I built a 1 inch bore 17 inches long, we fired it and the carriage destroyed itself, working on a aluminum setup now
 
How the heck do you do that? Turn a series of steps and then taper each step?

I have been tempted to try the offset tail stock technique but can't get my head around how one ends up with a symmetrical piece in the end.

M

Build an offset live tailstock, turn between centers... that's what I do with barrels. Difficult with short pieces and a lot of taper though.
 
Build an offset live tailstock, turn between centers... that's what I do with barrels. Difficult with short pieces and a lot of taper though.

I recognize the terms offset, live and tailstock. What does this "build" term mean?

M
 
Machine screws through the trunnions into very shallow threaded pockets in the bbl, then silver soldered with 45% silver solder. Mig would have been better, but I don't have access to one.

Keep in mind this project has not been proofed yet.

I predict the truck will fail first (carpenter I am not), followed by the trunnions. The bbl is 1-1/4" in the breech area so I have some faith in that for now.

I can't do long tapers on my mini-lathe so I'm a little disappointed in it's aesthetics:(

M

If the trunnions do fail I can probably help you out. I have access to oak, beech Hickory and tools to do thee job.
 
Back
Top Bottom