Op do you have a drawing/blieprints of it or something? I want to do something similar.
How the heck do you do that? Turn a series of steps and then taper each step?
I have been tempted to try the offset tail stock technique but can't get my head around how one ends up with a symmetrical piece in the end.
I turn the cross feed so that it is almost parallel to the bore of the cannon barrel and is angling away from the bore at somewhere between 0.5 and 1 degree. Essentially I know what diameter I want at the small end and what I want end up with on the other end and adjust the angle of the cross feed to achieve that. I also lock the carriage in place with the half nut on the longitudinal feed. I cut a taper for about 2" or however far my cross feed will travel then move the carriage ahead and repeat. What Guntech is suggesting is to have a offset center mounted in your tail stock, centered in the muzzle and use a faceplate and dog assembly instead of a chuck and have a dead center in the head stock as well. The reinforces are the decorative bands that you see on some cannon barrels. By the time that cannon barrels were cast, I think those bands were mostly decoration
cheers mooncoon
No plans, sorry. I posted here for plans and searched and searched the internet for plans and came up empty handed for the most part.
I have a few full size cannon specs I can send you. Too elaborate for my meager machining skills.
You can try these but I think they are for display only. http://www.tvdsb.ca/webpages/hoefnagelsd/cannon_drawing.cfm
Poke around that website there are a couple plans there.
I can PM my dims if that helps. The contours were pretty much free lance (sort of) after I got through the boring ordeal, and I left lots of meat in the breach area. Also, I mounted the trunnions too far back, it's bbl heavy.
I started this project with this https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-1-4-in-diameter-x-7-in-long-cylinder-pin/A-p3800445e
Please be advised that I have not proofed this thing yet. I'm thinking along the lines of 50gn FF and a 50cal RB Max.
M
I think you are referring to the "top-slide" are you not. The cross feed is anchored permanently at a right angle to the carriage. To cut a taper with the cross slide you would have to operate the cross slide feed dial at the rate of taper while the carriage is fed along the length of the work piece.
What did you do for a powder pocket?
Make suer when u do fire it leave the carriage loose to recoil as it will If u tie it down the carriage will disintigrate



























