Well, this is a new one. My evans rifle arrived a few days ago, and now I'm in the careful process of opening it up to figure out how it works and what to know about it.
Thing is.... the whole reciever is full of wax!
The gun is so clean and so well looked after there isn't even the typical old light black powder residue hiding in the nooks and crannies! It's not exactly like it's built up cosmolene and dirt!
I've got two theories here.
1) The gun was stored fully loaded and muzzle down. It sat in the sun, and all the externally lubed bullets warmed up and the wax/lube melted and ran down and pooled inside the reciever. The wax is lighter than full bees wax, but not by much. There are also a few evenly spaced rings of wax on the magazine cylinder, that would suggest bullets holding wax were the source. Also, the magazine holds 34 rds at a time, so it's entirely possible that there was more than enough wax to do this.
2) The gun was shipped and stored with wax in it intentionally, acting as a kind of preservative/grease.
Ideas guys? I certainly am not taking the wax out until I know it isn't supposed to be there!
Thing is.... the whole reciever is full of wax!
I've got two theories here.
1) The gun was stored fully loaded and muzzle down. It sat in the sun, and all the externally lubed bullets warmed up and the wax/lube melted and ran down and pooled inside the reciever. The wax is lighter than full bees wax, but not by much. There are also a few evenly spaced rings of wax on the magazine cylinder, that would suggest bullets holding wax were the source. Also, the magazine holds 34 rds at a time, so it's entirely possible that there was more than enough wax to do this.
2) The gun was shipped and stored with wax in it intentionally, acting as a kind of preservative/grease.
Ideas guys? I certainly am not taking the wax out until I know it isn't supposed to be there!



















































