My latest antique (Colt 1892) 41 Long colt. Made in 1897 *WITH SHOOTING VIDEO!

Yes realy but, well gee D, I guess you would know.
All I know is the half doz frenchies I own give me no prob. The three very nice colts I own on the other hand are delicate, fussy and a pain.
No one said anything about stopping power. Neither have enough for me thanks very much, I'll stay with a 1911 for that.

Well just talking guns then no stoping power involved, :p
the thing i dont like about the french guns is that big loading gate you need to pull it back then swing out the Cylinder.
I can open a Colt faster and slap it shut and its ready to go very fast if we were at a range i could show you the diffrence. Not that i slap em shut hard i do it fast but controlled. ;)
while the french guns are slower to get open and closed and ready to fire.

The french guns are very well made and strong no arguments there just not as fast or powerfull .
in the end its what a person feels good shooting that is important.




.
 
Well just talking guns then no stoping power involved, :p
the thing i dont like about the french guns is that big loading gate you need to pull it back then swing out the Cylinder.
I can open a Colt faster and slap it shut and its ready to go very fast if we were at a range i could show you the diffrence. Not that i slap em shut hard i do it fast but controlled. ;)
while the french guns are slower to get open and closed and ready to fire.

The french guns are very well made and strong no arguments there just not as fast or powerfull .

The French 1892 are much nicer build and look nicer too. That's just personal taste of course.

I have to shake my head when I look at the parts list you have to keep in stock for the Colt.
 
Function wise the french revolvers may work better but I find the colts point better and loading from the left side versus the right side makes it much faster to reload for the average right handed shooter.....
 
The French 1892 are much nicer build and look nicer too. That's just personal taste of course.

I have to shake my head when I look at the parts list you have to keep in stock for the Colt.

I never had to replace even one part on any of my 1892s when i had them and was shooting them .
frist gun i ever imported was a Da 1892 Colt.
They do sometimes tighten right up if a new hand is installed but thats like any gun thats been shot alot.

There not like the colt 1877 Thunders that break when you look at them.
Im not sure why he has all them parts but its a good thing for when someoine needs a part he might have it.
 
I never had to replace even one part on any of my 1892s when i had them and was shooting them .
frist gun i ever imported was a Da 1892 Colt.
They do sometimes tighten right up if a new hand is installed but thats like any gun thats been shot alot.

There not like the colt 1877 Thunders that break when you look at them.
Im not sure why he has all them parts but its a good thing for when someoine needs a part he might have it.

i keep all the parts seeing i like the colt 1892 and i have 6 of them :)

-also i buy broken ones all the time seeing you can get them a lot cheaper and i fix them up.

i like the French 1892 (i had 2 of them over the years) i had a Real nice one but sold it 2 months ago. it was in mint shape. but i dont like the way they shoot. (to hard to reload fast)
 
It's all just a matter of taste. If I want to shoot fast and hard, I use a Webley with 45 ACP clips and 260 grain bullets. You can drill a hole in the middle of the bullet, making it a hollow point, easy with lead. Talking about stopping power, eh.

But 41 Colt are not bad for stopping power, I agree.
 
You can also use K-frame speed loaders with the Colt. I use Safari Land Comp IIs, out of the package they work okay but modifying them slightly makes them work perfectly.
 
Nice Colt... congrats!

As for the little debate about reliability issues going on in this thread, in the past I have read that there are many gunsmiths in the States that won't touch an antique Colt with a 10 foot pole (info found on American gun forums). Partly because parts are scarce, partly because they're not easy to work on and lastly because they have a tendency to break again and again, which could result in some potentially unhappy customers in the long run (the guns' poor reliability could lead some people to believe that their smith is incompetent).

Anyway, after reading these testimonials, I decided not to get into Colts, however nice they might be. I passed up quite a few in the EE and gunbroker without bothering... I guess I just prefer proven reliability over good looks. But I do admit that they're very nice & modern looking irons!

:)
 
WELL i got FU*KED over on this colt 1892 like all the other i got in the last 10 years that i where buying them!!!

it needs a LOT of work. (could be shot asis but NOT safe...)

it was sold to me as "Action was smooth & crisp Timming correct"

Lockup sucks. and timming is off at lockup with the cylinder /barrel by close to 1.3mm... and the crane is not locking right with 1mm of play... so it need lots of work. like a new Cylinder Latch,Cylinder Latch Spring,Ejector Ratchet,and trigger Return spring is week!

it's not that big of a Deal seeing i got all the parts to fix it.. but i wanted the #'s to match (# on the cylinder latch)
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAtdbK7juZs

so.. i Got her in nice shape. and she shoots REAL nice.

i had to install a new (all NOs parts)

Ejector Rod
Ejector Rod Spring
Ejector Ratchet
Crane Bushing
Rebound Lever

Witch all parts i had in Stock so thats not that bad.

also the Grips looks to Be Factory not Replacements. (sn is on them)

there is still a Little gap .003-005 from the frame to the crane but thats no big deal. (bet it was like that right from colt/(to fix that i would have to install a new Cylinder Latch) but i want to keep the stock #'s , crane/frame is 100% not be bent.
 
Last edited:
i say there good for 1000-2500rds before they need a tune up. this is why i keep lots of spare parts for them.

this is some of the spare parts i try to keep in my stock.


NOS Barrel 6" 38 special x1
NOS Barrel 6" .22LR
used 41 colt barrels and 38 colt barrels
Cylinder in 41 Colt (4 used ones)
USED Cylinder in 38 colt 1889
+ 4 parts guns. that are Full of good parts.

NOS Ejector Ratchet x3
NOS Ejector Rod x4
NOS Ejector Rod Spring x1
NOS Crane Bushing x2
NOS Crane x1
NOS Ejector Rod Head x1
NOS Cylinder Latch Spring x1
NOS Hammer x3
NOS Hammer Pin x3
NOS Hammer Stirrup x4
NOS Hammer Stirrup Pin x6
NOS Hammer Strut Spring Roller x3
NOS Hammer Strut Spring x2
NOS Hammer Strut x6
NOS Mainspring x3
NOS Mainspring Tension Screw x3
NOS Crane Lock Screw x5
NOS Crane Lock x5
NOS Locking Lever x2
NOS Locking Lever Screw x4
NOS Trigger x4
NOS Trigger Access Pin x5
NOS Hand x2
NOS Hand Spring x3
NOS Cylinder Stop x1
NOS Cylinder Stop Spring x4
NOS Rebound Lever x3
NOS Rebound Lever Pin x4
NOS Rebound Lever Spring x2
NOS Rebound Lever Spring Pin x2
NOS Side plate Screws x10
NOS Grip Pin x3
NOS Grip Screw x2
NOS Grips x3


Wow starpuss ^ ... it must be true love ;)

Very pretty revolver.

Good to hear she's a shooter, .... 'praps some range results for our curious members?.
 
Back
Top Bottom