My new antique SIG?

gunzik

Regular
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
485   0   0
Location
Calgary
The CFC sent my antique letter and I was quite surprised to see they had determined the manufacturer of my 1882 Swiss Ordnance Revolver to be SIG, or Schweitzerische Industrie Gesellschaft. I was looking for one of these to convert to another, non-prohibited caliber (!) and wanted one with a worse barrel and of course a lower cost than the pretty ones that they sell here at Calgary Shooting Center. Surprise surprise, this little gem shows up and now I don't have the heart to convert it. I've just hijacked the seller's picture and obscured the serial (43XX). Eventually I'll take some photos of my own!

vmu3wy.jpg


I'm not sure if they were all made by SIG. According to CFC they were... at least, the antique ones.

These are extremely well made though. In typical over-engineered Swiss fashion, when you pull down the loading gate, it disengages the hammer and every pull of the trigger cycles the cylinder so you can eject and load more efficiently. Pop the gate up and you're back to normal function.

I can't wait to shoot it! Range report will follow soon...
 
That is in very nice condition... looks near new,any idea of how much it was shot?? Also what type of ammo does it take ie: do you have to reload for it??
 
Yessir, 7.5 Swiss Revolver or 7.5 Swedish Nagant (apparently identical). 32-20 brass and so forth, lots of recipes out there.

Shot much? Sorry, no way to tell. The bore is not perfect so I'd guess yes. Too nice to take the barrel off and replace though, or drill out and reline. I was going to build an antique .22 magnum, I checked the length of the shells ahead of time and that is possible. The ejector would need to be modified though, the cylinder sleeved, firing pin moved, barrel re-lined or replaced... and you've basically built another gun entirely.

I have been told that these will fire .32 S&W, though the brass will split. Original 7.5 Swiss ammunition is available locally (black powder) but is about $3 / shot. I'll be splitting the 50 cent 32 S&W brass.

Fiocchi still makes this ammunition, it's still in their catalog. Just not on the shelves...
 
They are ''SIG'' made only if they are marked ''Fabrique d'armes Neuhausen'' (in French or German) on the left side. All the others were made in Bern.
They are extremely rare on the market. They were not issued to the Swiss army as I have yet to see one with Swiss army acceptance marks on them. They were mostly issued to Border guards and police and a few civilians.
I have a Neuhausen made with serial # 4XX:cool:
 
No Neuhausen or any other place marking on this revolver. Some proofs, lots of Swiss crosses, and of course the numbers that show you the order to disassemble and reassemble the revolver in. And the serial number on every part big enough to be stamped.

Like I said, I was surprised to be the owner of a "SIG". It's in my CFC letter though, it must be right! Darn.
 
Back
Top Bottom