My new antique Swiss 1882 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiopento

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Toronto
Wanted to share my new purchase, a well-used Swiss 1882 revolver in antique range 1300s. Got it for half of what a perfect condition one runs. It's got a pristine barrel surprisingly, the finish is gone with minor pitting and old traces of black paint on it. It works perfectly and the internals look like new! I love the workmanship of these old swiss firearms. Was wondering if anyone could tell me any more about it, especially the symbols in front of the cylinder on the left side.

I also want to make this into a revolver I could use regularly and since it has little collector value and Swiss 7.5mm is rare and I don't reload, anyone have an idea of a common caliber this would make a good conversion to?

Cheers :)

otjHRow.jpg

h4T6jqJ.jpg
 
I've ofter thought about .22mag... Might be hard to go rimfire. .25acp lol
What? What?

7.5 swiss is .30 cal revolver, that can shoot projectiles in the diameter from .308 to .310. .22 or even .25 is way too small.

Since OP don't reload its going to be real hard to use it often, because 7.5 swiss is really hard to find. Fiocchi makes this ammo, but they do a run of it every decade or so and then none available untill next run.
This cartridge is easy to reload from 32-20 and Nagant brass. Die set from CH4D and proper shell holder for brass you going to use and reload with bullets in 100gr range.
 
By the time you pay someone to change your caliber ( and giving the RCMP a chance to re-classify it in the coming months/years as well) you can have gotten dies and a press for less $$$.
Press is 40-50 for a used Lee single stage, dies from C4H maybe 60-70, Rusty Wood will hook you up with 32-20 brass and likely bullets as well for 100 +/-.
Reloading isn't Rocket science; be careful and you will be good to go.
Antiques are cool; but it's pretty hard to get hundreds of rounds through one. They just are not conducive to high round counts; something always seems to bear scrutiny.
 
What? What?

7.5 swiss is .30 cal revolver, that can shoot projectiles in the diameter from .308 to .310. .22 or even .25 is way too small.

Since OP don't reload its going to be real hard to use it often, because 7.5 swiss is really hard to find. Fiocchi makes this ammo, but they do a run of it every decade or so and then none available untill next run.
This cartridge is easy to reload from 32-20 and Nagant brass. Die set from CH4D and proper shell holder for brass you going to use and reload with bullets in 100gr range.
Read and understand the original post... Then read my post. Conversion. Cooooonnnnnvvvvvveeerrrsssiiiooonnn. Sleeve cylender and barrels, this is why I went down in size. Get it?
 
conversion can be done but i vote not to do it ive seen theses converted to 22 rf sleaved barrel and chambers but then the hammers fireing pin tip must be adjusted made into a rf that strikes higher or lower than CF which can meen frame altering to so the RF hammer tip clears and the Center fire hole must be pluged.
if it was already done thats one thing but theses guns are rare collectables im sure theres another fellow on cgn who reloads for this gun could help you out. reloading is easy and once your doing it its fun and saves money.
the hard part about any conversion in Canada is finding someone to do it.
i have a webley WG Target model that is converted to shoot 22 hornet its a cool gun but it was converted long ago way before i got it .
I have another barrel and cylinder for the gun to that turns it back to 455 easy to.
But you cant really do that with a soild frame gun (unless you can get the barrel to unscrew but you still have that hammers fireing pin tip to deal with its not and easy conversion from CF to RF)
There are a few guys reloading the 7.5 swiss i hope they chime in. i know the one fellow has helped alot of others get reloading so maby he will show up he loves theses swiss revolvers and knows all about them.
 
Last edited:
What kind of bs you suggesting here. Converting 1000 dollar gun in to something that will reduce its value to 100 dollar, that won't even work.
Do your research first, before writing something down. This way you will avoid being laughed at.
Its way easier to make ammo for the gun than convert gun to the ammo it was never designed to fire. Flush those buba ideas out of your head dude, Swiss gunmakers did their home work for you back in 1882 and its no point to reinvent the wheelgun.

Read and understand the original post... Then read my post. Conversion. Cooooonnnnnvvvvvveeerrrsssiiiooonnn. Sleeve cylender and barrels, this is why I went down in size. Get it?
 
Last edited:
I vote to keep her unaltered. Rules around antiques will in all likelihood change for altered variants in commonly available calibres. Yes, the finish is gone, but it's still valuable enough. I am all set-up to reload for "7.5x23R" and I have had excellent results with a few combinations of brass lengths, powders, and .312 to .314" projectiles. These fine revolvers are uber reliable, durable, and an absolute pleasure to shoot! They are at least as accurate as any modern revolver. These revolvers are not very common (try to find one), and will only go up in value in future years. As a testament to their design, some examples were still in active service as late as the 1960's !

Before leaving Calgary Shooting Centre:
11456432564_98c8108574_b.jpg


Now in my loving home :):
14058032854_7b0b5c5ce1_b.jpg


4 of my favourite handloads next to an original BP cartrdge:
16162414866_212b754178_b.jpg
 
What? What?

7.5 swiss is .30 cal revolver, that can shoot projectiles in the diameter from .308 to .310. .22 or even .25 is way too small.

Since OP don't reload its going to be real hard to use it often, because 7.5 swiss is really hard to find. Fiocchi makes this ammo, but they do a run of it every decade or so and then none available untill next run.
This cartridge is easy to reload from 32-20 and Nagant brass. Die set from CH4D and proper shell holder for brass you going to use and reload with bullets in 100gr range.

I would be surprized to see any Fiocchi, ever. But yes, it is easy to reload once you are set-up. If the OP wants some tips, just contact me.
If he does not reload, he might as well put a few hooks on the wall and look at it from afar.
 
Just reload. You can use .32 acp lead projectiles with some bullseye or unique. You can obtain dies from calgary shooting centre. Trimmed down starline 32-20 brass is perfect.
Please don't destroy the gun by modding it. I have one and it's a great shooter.
 
Last edited:
To the OP... if you're interested in refinishing that lovely revolver, I know a guy that does old-school **deep and shiney** rust bluing. Personally, if I owned that revolver, I would restore it and enjoy it. Find another in better finish condition as an unaltered collectible.
 
What kind of bs you suggesting here. Converting 1000 dollar gun in to something that will reduce its value to 100 dollar, that won't even work.
Do your research first, before writing something down. This way you will avoid being laughed at.
Its way easier to make ammo for the gun than convert gun to the ammo it was never designed to fire. Flush those buba ideas out of your head dude, Swiss gunmakers did their home work for you back in 1882 and its no point to reinvent the wheelgun.
The op asked about conversion. I gave an answer... You're just showing us how smart you THINK you are.
It wouldn't decrese the value, not in Canada, it would increase it.
Sleeving it down to a smaller centre fire isn't rocket science and brings an old gun back to life....
.25 acp would work well for this job but you're so smart I'm sure you know this already. ;)
 
The op asked about conversion. I gave an answer... You're just showing us how smart you THINK you are.
It wouldn't decrese the value, not in Canada, it would increase it.
Sleeving it down to a smaller centre fire isn't rocket science and brings an old gun back to life....
.25 acp would work well for this job but you're so smart I'm sure you know this already. ;)

The only thing will bring this gun alive is the ammo I made for the OP.

not 25 acp
 
nice work... send me a PM and let me know your recipe.

I used 308 diameter 110 gr bullet seated at MAX COL and 3 grains of Trailboss with CCI reg primers. I have been loading 7.62 Nagant for years so I accumulated some crack necked cases that I cut to length. I read some of your posts on the topic as well some from drslav however my stand on this is that 7.5 Swiss as well as 7.62 Ng are made for 30 cal bullets. That's why i went with 308 to try.
If these won't shoot ok for the guy then i'll waste them through my Russian Nagant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom