My new antique Swiss 1882 Revolver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've settled on 100 grain .314" soft waxed lead wadcutters. The original factory FMJ measures .318" !! (I have some 40 rounds to measure)
I use 3.2 to 3.3 grains of Trail Boss (love the stuff) and reformed Starline 32-20 uncut brass = approx 900 fps.

I also have some 71 or 72 grain .311" FMJ (32 ACP) that works ok.

A fun gun and very accurate.
 
I have same model . With thin top strap. Serial under #3000 are first model second model has thicker top strap.
I use 32*sw long wad cutter . Unfortunaly cases get bulge in mine.
This is a very well made revolver that will last another 125 years.
Great purchase...
 
might be worth selling it to someone who would either reload or value it as a collectible. Seems like vandalism to convert such a nice old girl. You could probably sell it for enough to purchase a modern firearm that would shoot better anyways.
 
might be worth selling it to someone who would either reload or value it as a collectible. Seems like vandalism to convert such a nice old girl. You could probably sell it for enough to purchase a modern firearm that would shoot better anyways.

I concur; converting this pistol to 22 mag or 17 WMR, seems like such a 'Mouth Breather' thing to do.
 
Conversion would ruin this easy to shoot gun. Yes factory ammo is nonexistent but there are many options. Even setting up to reload is much better and cheaper than converting.
 
I recently bought a Webley in .45 acp but I also have a spare cylinder in the original .455 and I don't reload either. I get Rusty Woods to made some antique <900 fps loads for me in both calibers. I'm also saving the brass for him to reuse.

Give him a call. Bullet Barn is another.
 
"Bubba move, mouth breather... Bla bla bla"

Do you guys refer to Elmer Keith as that?

The op asked about conversion I answered... By the way, the "lol" in there was indicating my comment about .25acp was in jest. It would work but would be far from ideal.

I realize it's easier to reload but many guns have been converted over the years by many well respected gun afcionados. Who am I to judge what somebody wants to do with their own Property?

Bottom line is its not that hard to do and new ideas are a good thing... In fact this thread gave me another "bubba" idea, chamber adapters.

Anyways, enjoy your toys your way and I'll do the same. Stay safe.
 
I'm actually a big Elmer Keith fan. You post as though you've read his stuff? He actually had a collection of rare firearms, pretty cool stuff. Rare, stuff like...well, when you bring things up to date...kinda like an 1882 swiss.
He did destruction testing on a lot of SAA's , which were quite common at the time. Are you actually comparing lining this antique to a rimfire / minuscule round to Keith's development of the 44 magnum?
Umm...in your world; what color is the sky?
 
There are only 8008, 1882 Swiss Revolvers that qualify as a antique. To put that in perspective in the world there is only the possibility to have 8008 as a antique. To top it off that is only those that have survived, everytime someone does something like I don't know, try to rework one into a rimfire, just so they can have store bought ammo, that number decreases. If you want a damn 22 mag go buy a 22 mag, its that simple. In case you didn't know they aren't making any more 1882s, and they are definitely not making any more that are manufactured before 1898.

I personally don't care what has been done over the years by well respected gun aficionados, that was then, this is now. That's like driving home drunk because that is what used to be acceptable. It may have ok back then but it isn't any more.
 
You guys just don't get it... I'll say it again, the op asked about conversion, I answered. I'm sorry if my answer was akin to pouring sand in your collective ######s. Relax.

And an edit to add; again, it's his property. Let him do as he wishes. You guys can hoard your ultra rare 1882s. Another one biting the dust will make yours even more rare.... It's a thousand dollar gun not the friggin Mona lisa. Relax.

Oh ok, one more edit... It's really not as simple as going out to buy a .22wmr. I have a ruger single six I'd love to use in the bush. Due to our asinine gun laws we can't. So converting guns is en vogue in some circles. It gives guys a usable firearm with less rules attached and has the lovely side effect of pissing off a bunch of crotchety old fuds. :)
 
Last edited:
You guys just don't get it... I'll say it again, the op asked about conversion, I answered. I'm sorry if my answer was akin to pouring sand in your collective ######s. Relax.

And an edit to add; again, it's his property. Let him do as he wishes. You guys can hoard your ultra rare 1882s. Another one biting the dust will make yours even more rare.... It's a thousand dollar gun not the friggin Mona lisa. Relax.

Oh ok, one more edit... It's really not as simple as going out to buy a .22wmr. I have a ruger single six I'd love to use in the bush. Due to our asinine gun laws we can't. So converting guns is en vogue in some circles. It gives guys a usable firearm with less rules attached and has the lovely side effect of pissing off a bunch of crotchety old fuds. :)

If you are going to troll, do it right. Calling someone a 'fud' implies that they only shoot occasionally. ..that would not apply the the majority of folks here.
In fact some of the folks here, are capable of doing said conversion. Can anyone say that about you?
And a successful troll is good at inflaming everyone without breaking the rules. Stuff like calling folks 'fuds'...dumb, now the other trolls are like "Too far, you were on a roll"
Why don't we lock it down now, or ... better yet, you could bless us with your absence?
 
If you are going to troll, do it right. Calling someone a 'fud' implies that they only shoot occasionally. ..that would not apply the the majority of folks here.
In fact some of the folks here, are capable of doing said conversion. Can anyone say that about you?
And a successful troll is good at inflaming everyone without breaking the rules. Stuff like calling folks 'fuds'...dumb, now the other trolls are like "Too far, you were on a roll"
Why don't we lock it down now, or ... better yet, you could bless us with your absence?
You must be thick, go back and reread the original post... I answered the original posters question. Something you've failed to do.

Now if name calling is your issue, I belive "mouth breather" was how YOU started with that.
 
Hey guys, I don't think the hatred towards Deuce is justified, and I don't think he's trolling. Let's all just relax. In the end, if the OP wants to re-sleeve or reload, who really cares in the end? I've seen a 22LR M1882 conversion on the web, and while it looked expensive and unnecessarily complicated, I'm sure the owner is quite happy with the end result. Yes, I'm in the reload camp because it's a relaxing hobby that provides a sense of accomplishment, and this particular cartridge is relatively easy to reload for. BTW, 100 grains going 900fps is about twice as powerful as a 22LR. :)

On another note, because of the worn and slightly pitted finish, I would personally have that piece properly rust blued and restored, especially if the internals are like new and it functions well. But, that's just me.

group_hug_989575.jpg
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom