My "new" Gras

Musketfire

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Location
Algoma region
Gentlemen, here we have one of my newest projects a Gras 1874 11mm rifle manufactured in 1881.

This one came to me on trade recently from one of our very own.

I haven't done more then strip her down for inspection and give her a light cleaning.

After I finish up restoring my Canadian Snider I'm going to really sink my teeth into this one.

Everything on her is tight and the bore is surprisingly excellent with SHARP rifling.

Im very thankful this one was offered to me, I figured I would show you guys these pictures and hear what you think.

Any information/advise you may have on reloading 11mm Gras or general information on the rifle would be much appreciated.


Cheers and enjoy


MyGras-001.jpg

MyGras-003.jpg

MyGras-002.jpg
 
Congrats on a nice find.
Should be a blast to shoot.
They have a very nice graceful shape.
I'm going to guess it balances well.
 
Gee, you know, there's a guy just posted one of these over on MILSURP, has everybody drooling at it! Same kind of boots in the picture, too!

TEXT BOOK OF SMALL ARMS - 1909 gives the following on Page 245:
Model: 1874, 1878
Action: bolt
Weight without bayonet: 9 lbs, 11 ozs
Weight with bayonet: 10 lbs, 7-1/2 ozs
Length without bayonet: 4 ft 3-1/4 ins
Length with bayonet: 6 ft 1 inch
Barrel length: 32.3 inches
Calibre: 11mm/.433 inch
Number of grooves: 4
Depth of grooves: .0098 inch
Rifling: 1 turn in 21.65 inches/50 calibres, to Right
Lowest sight: 328 yards/300 metres
Highest sight: 1968.5 yards/1800 metres
Cartridge length: 2.99 inches
Cartridge weight: 676 grains
Bullet material: hard lead
Bullet length: 1.063 inches
Bullet diameter: .433 inch
Bullet weight: 386 grains
Charge weight: 81.32 grains
Value of W/d-squared: .294
Muzzle velocity: 1493 ft/sec
Maximum range: 3171 yards

Hope this is of some help.
 
Back
Top Bottom