My new Thompson Center Hawken .58 cal *Range report*

To answer my question on what the max load of BP I can safely use I did a quick Google and the GM website has it all layed out;

Disclaimer:#Green Mountain muzzleloading barrels in .50, .54, and .58 calibers have been designed specifically for use with Black Powder FFg, Pyrodex 'RS', or Pyrodex 'Select' only.

Exceeding maximum powder charge of 120 gr. Black Powder FFg by volume, or its equivalent, could result in extreme danger.
 
To answer my question on what the max load of BP I can safely use I did a quick Google and the GM website has it all layed out;

Disclaimer:#Green Mountain muzzleloading barrels in .50, .54, and .58 calibers have been designed specifically for use with Black Powder FFg, Pyrodex 'RS', or Pyrodex 'Select' only.

Exceeding maximum powder charge of 120 gr. Black Powder FFg by volume, or its equivalent, could result in extreme danger.

120 in a 58 is a lot more than other manufacturers recommend.
 
I'm very surprised with your statement that 110 grains of powder was quite nice to shoot from a recoil vantage. A 110 grains with my .45 or .50 is downright painful (3F) and puts the recoil of highbrass 12 ga rounds to chuff at.

Is that with RB or conical? I've run 90 gr of FFg through a 45 Kentucky and with RB it's a powderpuff, with conical " I saw a star or two"
 
Is that with RB or conical? I've run 90 gr of FFg through a 45 Kentucky and with RB it's a powderpuff, with conical " I saw a star or two"

I generally load less than half that amount for 50 yard paper punching, but yea, now that you mention it I was launching Maxi ball (.50) when I decided that perhaps an accuracy issue I was having that day:rolleyes:was due to a lack of skirt seal (I would have been somewhere between 60 and 80 grains)...bump up the black right!? Well...####, click,...Whumph!:rockOn: Stars!? I swear I saw the end of days!?:wave:
 
Back
Top Bottom