My trade rifle nears completion...

Claven2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
417   0   2
Location
Onterrible
Not ure if any of you guys have been over to my build thread on MSC, but my trade rifle is nearing completion. Still some work to fab up a ramrod, finish polish and brown my parts, bu on the whole, coming along very nicely IMHO :)

h t t p://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=24744&page=1
 
That is a great tutorial.

What is the problem with zinc? I see you burned zinc off a screw(?) with muriatic acid.
 
Zinc is fine for a normal screw in a cabinet or whatever, but on a rifle you can't brown or blue zinc. So you burn it off so that it will take finish ;)
 
Ah, I see. Thanks for responding.

Your mill is impressive looking. How long have you been using a mill? Is the language to use the cnc difficult to learn? What's a mill like that worth?

I've given thought to building a fowler. I think a mill would simplify matters by a great deal.
 
I think I paid about $3K for the mill plus another $1K in upgrades like DRO. G-code isn't that tough to learn if you have a use for it. Sadly, my mill is NOT CNC - though with oodles of effort it could probably be converted, but I have no need of that capability.

For most basic smithing, a lathe and mill are HUGE enablers.
 
Is that price new?

I watch a lot of auction notices. Often lathes are available. I'm guessing being in the right place at the right time would get one a pretty good deal on a pretty good mill.

What's DRO?
 
DRO = digital readout, in my case, 3 axis DRO with programmable controls. The mill itself was about $3K on sale from Busy Bee tools, new. It's a 6x26" knee mill.
 
Claven 2 you are doing a fine job on that rifle and the wood is gorgeous. I also like the steel hardware... a refreshing change from the usual brass.
I built a CVA kit and had fun doing it but your project is in a whole different class.
Are you going to post a range or field report when it's ready???
 
You Sir, are a highly skilled craftsman.

:cheers:

That is one beautiful piece of work.

Let us know how it shoots.
 
Back
Top Bottom