My Wilderness Outfit

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Just got my Mernickle cross draw holster recently, to complete my rig for our family canoe trips into the remote wilderness. Shown in the photo is my belt made by a fellow in Cody. I had the belt custom made with extended stays in the wilderness in mind (i.e., a year or two) where all the cartridges I owned would be on the belt. It holds 20 rounds of 30-30 and 10 rounds of 45 Schofield cartridges. That would be enough to keep us in venison for several years, with plenty of rounds left over. I had it originally made for a strong side draw, but I like the cross draw position so much better in the bush, that I've flipped the belt around and use it like that. I know the style is to have the buckle on the other side, but I'm a bit thrifty and I really like the belt. The Mernickle ca12 holster holds an original first generation Colt SAA dating to 1882 and chambered in 45 Schofield, which makes the old sixgun a legal antique. I load the rounds to fire a 250 grain bullet out the barrel at 850 fps. Lastly, you can see Old Savage, my 30-30 carbine, dating to 1954, the year I was born. It is my wilderness gun, equipped with a Lyman receiver sight that is so good, I feel like I'm cheating when I shoot with it. It has already put two 8-point bucks in the freezer. The knife and sheath were made by Chisholm's Trail and the knife has a Sambar Stag set of grips. That knife has cleaned and skinned three deer since I got it.

Rig-for-Web.jpg


When I came in from taking the photo, I threw the belt across my old saddle from when I was growing up some 40 years ago. I thought, 'By gum, that looks nice! I'll just snap a photo of that", so here it is, like it or not ....

Belt-and-Saddle.jpg
 
Very well thought out rig 38/55.
Cross draw is best while hump'n a heavy pack. Sits on a log well too.
I haven't found one yet for my 4" webley. Some K frame sized will accept, others not. N's seem too roomy. Custom?, I wish.
 
Nice!
Have you considered suspenders?:D
Any idea on the weight fully loaded?
I could only guess at the weight, but it is not that bad. Most of the time, I do not even notice I have it on. I doubt it would be more than 5 pounds total, which is really nothing when it is around the waist.
 
I wear a carpenters belt all day and find the suspenders nice for spreading the load but they don't look cool unless you've been there done that.

That's a real nice rig you've set up and if that's you in your Avatar you look the part!

Have fun on the Canoe trip!
 
More details on the knife and revolver would be nice eh, and if you feel like posting a picture from your trip in the bush latter that would be nice too...
 
Back
Top Bottom