My Winchester 44-40 Saddle Ring Carbine search has ended

Newfoundlandrover

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Location
Ottawa Ontario
You never know what you're gonna find at your local gun store. I took a young friend out yesterday afternoon to buy an SKS from the fresh crate at a gun store here near Ottawa. It was his first firearm,so it was kinda a big deal. While he was buttoning up the deal at the counter, I wandered over to check out the consignment guns....just about crapped my pants when I saw the old Winchester buried behind some old Cooeys and 870's. Apparently the store owner had been given a bunch of firearms and vintage ammunition to sell for an old widow who was clearing out her house. The Winchester looked like it had been sitting in the rafters of a barn for the past few decades and needed a serious sprucing up. I've been searching for this particular model for 25 years....was given one for my 16th birthday,but regrettably sold it a year later to buy a girl a piece of jewelry for Christmas (dumb ass). I've seen a few a gun shows, but model 92' Saddle Ring Carbines chambered in 44-40 don't come cheap....unless your willing to settle for a wall hanging boat paddle. This gun had decent wood...the bore wasn't horrible, but it had replacement sights which looked to be home made, and a God awful leather sling that was fandangled on there. This was a well used farm gun and likely began its life on the very farm that it was removed from. The tag hanging off the lever said $799 and the price was final....It looked like hell,but I forked over my Mastercard and made it mine. I've been working on this old girl all day, the action is a smooth as butter and she'll spit the 44-40 dummy rounds halfway across my work room. I'm gonna take it to my Gunsmith tomorrow to see about getting those sights swapped out for period originals. I'm going to keep the old handmade sights,along with the old leather sling....the old guy took the time to make them so they're part of this guns history. I remember the 44-40 from my youth being in a little better condition, but its gone now.....stupid girls!!!
 
Hello Newfoundlandover,

I am a Model 1892/92 collector and also am doing research on these rifles. If you would like to know more
about your new rifle I can probably help you. Here are some links to some of the work I am doing. I will
be glad to answer any questions you might have.

1892 Survey
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27559&p=343093&hilit=1892+survey#p343093
http://www.winchestercollector.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3460
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=606355

Congrats
Michael
 
My old friend and neighbor had one of those when I was growing up.
I always liked it, but it was lost in a fire(not his house thank god) before I was able to purchase it.
 
I would have preferred to buy back my original saddle ring carbine. I contacted the person I had originally sold it to, but he had sold it to a third party, and from there it was bequeathed from what I've been told. It's unobtainable.
 
Whatever it is with classic Winchesters, they always carry that strange sense of romance and nostalgia with them. They can be pretty difficult to pry out of most peoples hands.

You said it! The 92s and 94s are, I think, the prettiest lever guns Winchester ever made. I'd love to have one of each...in every calibre...lol. If I ever get ahold of a 92 it aint going anywhere without me!
 
Back
Top Bottom