- Location
- Quesnel, BC
Trying to identify this firearm. <https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos...14!16745&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
Any help you can give me will be appreciated!
The story,
Picked this rifle up from the RCMP for a widow who had it seized for improper storage after her husband died and her housekeeper reported her.
His Grandfather acquired the gun in the US and they brought it to Canada when the immigrated in the '60's. He apparently fired it in the '70's.
No stampings on the metal other than a "U" on each of the three barrel bands. There is no serial number or caliber designation I can find, but on the Upper Tang, the Remington patent dates have been printed on.
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos...14!16748&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos...14!16747&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
It is worn and hard to read but I think I can see "1873" as the last date, but I believe it is a first generation action as the hammer doesn't fall to half #### when closing the breach block.
I have not cast the chamber but have slugged the barrel and find it to be some sort of .43/11mm (.439/11.1mm) with 5 lands and groves. A 45-70 Gov case shortened by .285 fits the chamber so that is where I think the cartridge would be necked for the smaller bullet.
There are two marks stamped into the Buttstock, a "R" on top, just ahead of the buttplate screw and a "1" on the right side.
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos&cid=06225BD87801EC14&id=6225BD87801EC14%2116743&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos&cid=06225BD87801EC14&id=6225BD87801EC14%2116744&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
Any help you can give me will be appreciated!
The story,
Picked this rifle up from the RCMP for a widow who had it seized for improper storage after her husband died and her housekeeper reported her.
His Grandfather acquired the gun in the US and they brought it to Canada when the immigrated in the '60's. He apparently fired it in the '70's.
No stampings on the metal other than a "U" on each of the three barrel bands. There is no serial number or caliber designation I can find, but on the Upper Tang, the Remington patent dates have been printed on.
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos...14!16748&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos...14!16747&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
It is worn and hard to read but I think I can see "1873" as the last date, but I believe it is a first generation action as the hammer doesn't fall to half #### when closing the breach block.
I have not cast the chamber but have slugged the barrel and find it to be some sort of .43/11mm (.439/11.1mm) with 5 lands and groves. A 45-70 Gov case shortened by .285 fits the chamber so that is where I think the cartridge would be necked for the smaller bullet.
There are two marks stamped into the Buttstock, a "R" on top, just ahead of the buttplate screw and a "1" on the right side.
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos&cid=06225BD87801EC14&id=6225BD87801EC14%2116743&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>
<https://onedrive.live.com/?v=photos&cid=06225BD87801EC14&id=6225BD87801EC14%2116744&parId=root&parQt=allmyphotos&o=OneUp>

























































