Nanaimo .577 snider help

mrclean89

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Location
Nanaimo, BC
Evening guys, im looking to reload for the .577 snider for a christmas present for my dad. I have a bunch of brass and bullets coming in and ill pick up the primers and powder once they arrive.*

I am looking for someone in nanaimo BC to help me start off reloading this as im a little unsure on the wads and load size etc. I reload ammo just never BP casings before. I would really like to get this done for christmas, the parts should be here thursday or friday and can meet up anytime once i have the parts.

Thanks for any help, McLean
 
The original load for the .577 Snider cartridge was 65 grains of BLACK gunpowder under a 480-grain lead bullet.

Depending on what cases you have this amount of powder will fill (or not fill) the case pretty much up t the base of the bullet. If you need to reduce the space left in the case, there are several sorts of materials that you can use for a wad. All you need is something to keep the powder aainst the cap. Likely someone will flame me for saying this, but, truth to tell, all I use is a wadded-up square of ordinary kitchen-type waxed paper. Woks for me, anyway. Cheap, too.

A really good idea is to drop your fired empties into a jar of water ight after they are fied. Take them home, drop them into an old pot with some hot water and boil them for a couple of minutes, take them out and dry them. This will prevent the greater art of the brass corosion resulting from the sulphur in your powder.

Sniders are fun. If you stand behind the guy who is shootng and you have a good set of binos, you can actually watch the bullet as it heads downrange.

Biggest, most important thing of all about a .57 Snider: enjoy!
.
 
Smellie is correct. I would not worry too much about asthetics for now. Just put 70 grains of FG black powder in the case covered by a card wad os some sort and then seat a lubed bullet or ball directly on this, It may not look as nice as a bullet seated at proper depth but it is easy and it will shoot. Good luck I wish you were closer. Dave
 
Back
Top Bottom