Napoleon Cannon

jakerazer

Regular
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Location
GVRD
Hi Guy's

I just bought one of those Napoleon 2 cannons from Lever arms. It's 50 cal and is very beefy. The touch hole has not been drilled through and i have no idea what size to drill it and how to load it up. I would like to make some big smoky Bang's with this baby. It looks so cool.
Does anybody have one? what powder do you use, and how much F, FF, FFF?
what Fuse? What wad or wax or?
thanks very much for any input
 
Those used to come as kits. Dixie Gunworks still sells 'em. Uses 1/8" diameter fuse(drill a #30 hole) that may or may not be readily available up here. Comes in a blister pack of 15' of fuse, as I recall. Haven't a clue if it's still available. Call your local gun shops.
Read this. When the guy says it'll recoil, he's not kidding. You'll need to learn how to shoot it safely too. A toy it aint. A wee bit too much elevation and you'll be sending a .490" ball way past the back stop. The guy's load without the ball will do nicely for starting races, etc.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=1675&reviews_id=815
 
A side note - blackpowder is measured in volume of grains; not weight. Took me a while to figure that one out.

Also - just a cautionary - don't know how to avoid it, but make sure you don't snap the drill bit making the touch hole. Tried to make a very small cannon and did just that. Was a royal PITA.
 
Just ordered one of these from Lever and just have to play the waiting game.
I am new to Cannons but have used a muzzleloader for several years now.

Cheers
Baldman
 
napleon cannon

this was the spelling on the box. bought one three weeks ago. score. have shot mini-cannons for a number of years and this one seems a treat. re-bore with a .50 long bit to clean out. its a very rough bore as it comes . its cast steel so drilling the touch hole is not a problem. i have shot it to test at 20 grains fff with a 490 ball. no patch just bore butter on the ball. after 2 shots it cokes up enough to be tight. very accurate with this combination. tried 45 grains today and lots of recoil. with virtually none on 20 grains don't know where the ball went. barrel balance is off in the carriage so you need to make sure its down on the stop when you touch her off. enjoy and make sure the ball is down on the powder before firing- use a rod to check each time.
 
With black powder good luck finding a source right now. If you find one locally then buy all they have. I phoned probably 80% of the gun stores in BC and all were out of 2f black powder. I've got the fuse, just no powder :(

Quesnel, Williams Lake, Prince George, 100 mile house, kamloops, vernon, Kelowna, the list goes on.

Granted this was last year so things might have changed....
 
One of the club members shoots a motar at the Black powder Shoot, at the PoCo range on the first Sunday of the month, starts at 9:00 AM. He would be able to tell you about fuses.
 
Well cannon arrived today and am really impressed. Its not what you would call perfect wood working but for the price was definitely worth it. Yes the Bore does look ruff but with a little cleanup can work effectivelly.

Very happy with the shipping time (order on thursday last week)
 
I ordered two cannons from Lever Arms in late December but they never received the payment. Canada Post has lost the letter with my Money Order in it. :eek:
Now I have to wait two more months to get my money back. :mad:
I resent the order with another M.O. today. I hope it will get there. :rolleyes:
I want to shoot my cannooooooooooons! :D
 
Back
Top Bottom