Nearly necromancy-lots of photos-

Very interesting project. I'm glad you are working on it and not me, as I'd have given up before I started. Keep us posted, this is fascinating.
 
I like your attitude and I like seeing this old stock come back. I am really lookign forward to seeing how the metal turns out and the pics of when its done and all back together compared to the first pics.

I have a question about the stock, with the way it broke, how do you think it will stand up with use again?

Me too - you're no quitter.

I'm guessing, but the way the stock broke looks like it did not occur in "normal" use. Perhaps it got stepped on, on fell off of a wall? The acraglass will likely make it stronger than before, and I suppose you could have embedded a dowel or metal rod.

It will be quite an event the first time you touch that off.
 
another product you might consider is Marine-tex, its an epoxy compound that goes on black in color then dries grey .ive used it on many projects and been satisfied on all occasions. when using the barrel as back-up mould i use saran wrap between the steel and wood. stretched tight gives a good finish. also use this for bedding a barrel. nice project. that is the kind of thing i always look for. you're preserving history for someone else to enjoy in the future. regards
 
I like your attitude and I like seeing this old stock come back. I am really lookign forward to seeing how the metal turns out and the pics of when its done and all back together compared to the first pics.

I have a question about the stock, with the way it broke, how do you think it will stand up with use again?


I really over did it with securing that break, pins, acraglass , the whole gambit.



Im thinking it has Never been as secure as it is now,

Im also convinced by examineing the break that it was caused by someone holding the barrel and smashing it against a hard surface:mad: the back of the but plate has a couple marks that make me believe this, aside from the geometry of the damage.

Its been a fun project so far, Ive learned alot with regards to repairing jigsaw puzzle stock breakage.

I have a pile of things to do with her still, but its all do-able.

The partridge better start their prayers....;)


Thanks for the comments guys!!, Im really starting to like this fowler, as it progresses its less of a challenge to spite its damage and more of a pleasure!
 
Back
Top Bottom