Need 5mm ammo

stv44

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Remington model 592 in 5mm Remington Magnum and now need the ammo to feed it. Aguila of Mexico is currently making this zippy little rimfire, a 30grain at around 2300fps. Unsure if other ammo companies plan to make ammo but Taurus has a new revolver in 5mm and Marlin, H&R and CZ are going to make rifles. Does anyone know a Canadian supplier of Aguila ammo? I used to buy Aguila .22LR when twelve or 13 but that was awhile ago. Thanks for any help.
 
Cheapest and fastest option would be to rebarrel it to a 22 magnum (WMR). Ammo is relatively available and relatively cheap. Or .17 HMR.

Next best thing would be to contact James Calhoon in the States (Google him) and buy a set of his prints for converting the bolt to centerfire. There is one wildcat option that may allow you to use your barrel as-is, using a necked 22 mag centerfire case (22 CCM, IIRC, good luck with finding cases!) and reload with available .204 bullets. Otherwise, lots of guys have built .22 Hornets, or .17Ackley Hornets out of them. May be able to salvage the barrel blank, but it should be threaded onto the action to be safe for the higher pressures of the CF loads.

Either way, it's gonna cost ya a bit. Hope you got it cheap!

Maybe we'll see some Aquila ammo up here, but then, maybe never. Check out the stickies in the Ammo forum. One has a link to the list of approved-for-import ammo that is allowed into the country. Chances of anyone seeing the 5mm rimfire as a major source of long term profit margin seem slim. I would not hold my breath.

Cheers
Trev
 
Last edited:
The Remington brand ammo surfaces once in while at gun shows for $100 a box 50. This unfortunately devalues the gun to the point where I have seen them practicaly given away. They are basically safe queens now.
 
I'd pay somewhat more than free for one! :) And pay postage!

I'm cheap though.

I'd want it to butcher into either a Hornet or Ackley Hornet conversion, as per the info above.

Cheers
Trev
 
Oh man, I hope we can get it here in Kanada. The Dept. of Ignorant A$$holes will have to "test" it for a couple of decades, and by then everybody who did want some will be dead of old age! I have a magazine fed 5mm that I bought new. I would love to be able to use it again. (591??) I also have a 581. :dancingbanana:
 
Back
Top Bottom