Need a good, accurate 30-06 round. Which one?

jasonn

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I finally scoped my interarms Mark X in 30-06. I have a box of core lokt 165 gr that i bought when i got the gun. I dont know if it is very accurate or not as i have only shot it a few times and was useless with the irons. Anyway when i was at the store putting the new nikon scope on i noticed all this ballistic tip ammo and was thinking it looked like that would be more accurate than the ammo i have with just a blunt nose. Double the price though. Any thoughts? Is it more accurate and what would some other good choices be?
I will be deer hunting with it and maybe a little shooting with it at the range.
Thanks
Jason
 
It's like buying shoes online, till you try them you don't know if they'll fit. 30.06 in general like 165s and 180s but each gun will have it's favorites.

Start cheap and see what yours likes to shoot!
 
The only way to know what shoots well in your rifle is to test it and see. Price has no bearing on the results, I have had great results with Federal blue box ammo in a number of rifles and it is about the lowest cost stuff out there for a lot of centerfire hunting cartridges.

You don't need anything fancy for deer or paper and pretty much any 150-180gr bullet will work fine for you. I would specifically avoid the controlled expansion bullet types for deer, they are designed for heavier, tougher game and may not always perform that well on a small, thin skinned animal like deer.


Mark
 
I would specifically avoid the controlled expansion bullet types for deer, they are designed for heavier, tougher game and may not always perform that well on a small, thin skinned animal like deer.

Mark

I've used the 130gr TSX and 110gr TTSX in 270 win for deer, and I've had great expansion each time (four for four) and "dead right there" results. The one deer with the 110gr TTSX was small enough that I could nearly span the distance across the rib cage between the entrance wound and exit with my spread fingers. The entrance was caliber-sized, the exit was about 2x caliber sized, and everything in between (heart/lung) was red jello. Bang, flop, twitch, done.

If you look at the videos on the Barnes site, they show the TTSX expanding fully within the first inch or so of ballistics gel.
 
The most accurate bullet in my 30/06 is with the NOZZZler ballistic tip, and I'm sure it's used in some factory ammo, my rifle likes the 165 grain.
 
In my Savage 111 it is the Hornady 165 Interbond. 3 holes touching at 100, repeatable. Put one through a spine of a Mulie at 275, perfect mushroom found on off hide.
 
Among non-premium factory loads, The Hornady Interlock has consistantely surprized me with its accuracy.

I am not making any presentations regarding their effectivness though.
 
I know for trying them that Superformance SST 180 gr are deadly accurate... and powerfull out of a friend 7600 30-06 and they are priced right... Cheers. JP.
 
Back
Top Bottom