Need Advice For Best Container to Store Ammo

srnm

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Ontario
Since my niece is basically getting into everything I decided that I want to start locking up my ammo. Whats the best container to store ammo in? I only keep about 2 shoe boxes full of ammo. I perfer something solid that can be locked pretty tight, in a dark colour? I dont want to be using those metal ammo cans. Something less obvious
 
Take a trip to prince's auto. They got ton's of surplus ammo cans that can be sealed up tight than a lock slaped on it.
On a side note I think Marlin @ Frontier Firearms has some spare 50 cal can's for sale & I know for a fact that Wes @ Wessley's Surplus out in New Westminister has all different 1's from 223 to 50 cal. Hope this helps
 
There are 2 or 3 parts to your question. You've got your ammo in a cardboard shebox right now. That ammuntion is insecure and subject to dust, humidity and handling. A metal (or plastic) container will keep unwanted fingers out of your "stash", protect the ammo itself from the interior elements, and is strong enough to carry around.

Why you wouldn't want ammo cans must be something personal. They are dust, humidity and (sort of) fire safe. They have strong handles that fold. A clever fellow can make them lockable. And they are cheap. I have enough of them that I forget what is in each one, so I made cereal box cardboard tags that are tie-wrapped to the handle.

As an alternative, check out mechanic's toolboxes, stationary store file boxes or small Rubbermaid tubs. Your choice.
 
img03580014gt.jpg

Shot at 2006-01-22

img03540013tg.jpg

Shot at 2006-01-22

img03570010rx.jpg

Shot at 2006-02-16
 
filing cabinet, can buy them pretty cheap

We had ammo in 4 drawer filing cabinets (not the lateral style filing cabinets). Pretty inconspicuous and lockable.

Just make sure you get a cabinet with full ball bearing suspension. Some of the newer cabinets have really c**ppy sliding rails. An old HD cabinet is best and used ones are really cheap.
 
I bought a couple of these Canadian Tire Mastercraft Garage Wall Cabinets...lockable, metal and they are wall mountable. You can store a lot of ammo in them. $150

0681226_1
 
We had ammo in 4 drawer filing cabinets (not the lateral style filing cabinets). Pretty inconspicuous and lockable.

Just make sure you get a cabinet with full ball bearing suspension. Some of the newer cabinets have really c**ppy sliding rails. An old HD cabinet is best and used ones are really cheap.

I have a 2 drawer one, it's really wide, and when I fill it with my reloading supplies, I have to be careful not to tip the whole thing over when I open the top drawer. I think each drawer weighed roughly 100-150 lbs. Bullets get heavy quick.

Check the used office supply stores for these, the new ones will very likely destroy themselves with any serious load. Also, a used one will likely cost 1/3-1/5 the price of new. It should be heavy as all get out, even empty.
 
I use a mechanics red steel tool chest. Its lockable and they come in all sizes> mine cost about $35.00. Very handy and just the right size.
This chest allows me to comply with Canadian ammo storage laws as well.
 
He's got two shoe boxes full. A small "Action Packer" kind of container would be fine. Easy to lock - keeps neice out - and easy to tote. A sturdy tool box will get it done as well. If you are worried about variations in humdity, I'd try a dessicant package, and check it occasionally to ensure it is still effective.
 
Back
Top Bottom