Need Advice: Modified vs Full Choke for Goose Hunting

Wiler1972

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, going goose and duck hunting and I thought my 12g Canuck would be ok- with the full butt stock on it. But maybe it's not going to go well?
I have modified choke in but maybe full choke?
 
Last edited:
I use IC with 1&3/8oz's of #2 steel going 1550fps. Which produces a modified pattern...

If I had to guess, I'd say I shoot more geese at 20-30 yards than 40-50 yards... So I think IC is the way to go.
 
Pattern your gun, it will show you what it does with the ammo you shoot. All ammo will perform differently. Get a couple different shells from your buddies and pick what’s best in your gun!
 
Over the years I altered hundreds of shotgun barrels...

SHOTGUN BARREL ALTERATIONS FOR STEEL SHOT

Forcing Cone Alteration
:

Factory shotgun barrels usually have a fairly short and abrupt forcing cone. The forcing cone is the tapered area just ahead of the chamber where the shell is contained. Altering the forcing cone, so it is one and one half or two inches in length, reduces recoil and improves the pattern density. Trap shooters and skeet shooters have been doing this for many years. It is a good benefit to the steel shot user as well.

Choke Alteration
:
Choke designation from the tightest to the most open are:
Extra Full, Full, Improved Modified, Modified, Skeet II, Improved Cylinder, Skeet I, and Cylinder Bore.

Steel shot does not require the constriction that lead shot needs
, to produce good patterns. In fact too much constriction, causes poor, erratic patterns, and in some cases, permanently damages the barrel. I have seen barrels bulged at the choke, I have seen barrels where the choke split right open, from using steel shot.

For steel shot, with thin barrels, chokes should be altered to at least Skeet II. Often, over & under, and side-by-side shotguns, are best altered to Skeet I and Skeet II chokes. Heavier barrels can be left at Modified choke but may see an improvement in the pattern if opened slightly.
 
I never shoot steel out of anything tighter than M and most of the time IC or LM, shooting over decoy's you don't need anything tighter, those sky buster chokes that are hyped up all the time are mostly just that HYPE as is the case of 3 1/2" ammo IMHO
 
I use IC with 1&3/8oz's of #2 steel going 1550fps. Which produces a modified pattern...

If I had to guess, I'd say I shoot more geese at 20-30 yards than 40-50 yards... So I think IC is the way to go.

If their coming unto the deecs IC is best ✔️

If they are not quite committing (check ur setup) then M or a tighter specific Goose choke to reach out farther ✔️ (put your pattern out farther)

If ur aiming your pattern for the geese to run into (leading) you actually need to 'lead" ahead, and depending on yardeage, its actually farther ahead than most people think ... or less depending on angles ...

The more you practice with Clays will give you an idea or the more you go Goose Duck Crane hunting

I'm mostly using #2s for Geese #4s for Ducks
BBBs for Cranes

Have at it !
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jay
Your 12-gauge Canuck should be capable of handling goose and duck hunting. A modified choke is a solid all-around choice, especially if you're expecting mixed shooting distances. A full choke can give tighter patterns for longer shots, but it may be too restrictive for closer birds and isn't recommended with some types of steel shot. I'd pattern both chokes with the exact loads you plan to use before heading out so you know how your shotgun performs at your expected ranges. Good luck and hunt safely!
 
For geese and ducks you’re totally fine running modified. In fact, most guys prefer it. A full choke can work, but it’s not ideal with modern steel loads — patterns can get blown out or become inconsistent, especially at the ranges waterfowl are usually taken. Unless you’re pass‑shooting at long range, stick with modified. It’s the most forgiving and consistent option for mixed duck/goose hunts.
 
Back
Top Bottom