Need advice on loading black powder 12 Ga.

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Gents, I have a lot of experience loading rifle and pistol cartridges, including BP rifle cartridges, but I've zero knowledge or experience in loading 2 & 1/2" black powder 12 Ga. shells. I think I have all the equipment, shot and powder, but I do need to know:

a) how much #2 shot to put in and,
b) how much FFg to use

Note that this is a 12 & 1/2" shell, not a normal length one.
 
I put 1.25 to 1.5 oz of shot in a 2.75 and 80 grs ff
so in yours I guess 1oz to 1.25 of shot and 70grs of powder you want enough powder and shot to get a good level crimp little more little less powder not a big deal just like cartridges no air space between powder and wad you can always put a over shot card in to get a level crimp .
 
1 1/8 oz. shot and 3 drams of black, 1 dram=approx 28grs. of 2fg. black....use card wad over powder and build a wad column of good fitting felt......for reduced hard fouling and much easier cleanup use a felt wad soaked in BP lube as part of your wad column....Just to be clear, that's approx. 80 grs. of black...according to my cyphering.
In the old days this load produced 1200 fps. because of the very high quality BP avail. , with todays' BP it only runs 1100 fps or less unless you happen on some "Swiss" brand, and then I'd work up to that load with Damascus.
 
I use 80 gr of 2F (roughly 3 drahms) plus 1 1/8 oz of shot. I use a cushion wad over the powder then a card wad then the shot. If your crimps are not closing tight put a thin card wad on top of the shot to stop it leaking out.
I think it is a mistake to use too much shot; lower velocity and possibly poor patterns. I also have come to think that it is important to use a card wad over the cushion wad to prevent shot imbedding in the wad during firing.
The wads that I use are the prelubed ones intended for muzzle loading; I usually have to split them like two pancakes and stakes the pancakes rather than try to force the whole wad in at once.
I chronographed some loads and got around 1050 fps as I recall and definitely slower than I expected.
Finally if your gun has a 2 5/8 chamber for roll crimps, you can still use the star crimped 2 3/4 plastic shells in it. They are thin enough that it does not excessively increase pressures. I would definitely no shoot 2 3/4 paper shells in the shorter chamber. Paper shells are 2 or 3 times as thick as the plastic shells

cheers mooncoon
 
Here is the procedure I use.
I made a gauge from a scrap 12ga chamber, cut to 2 1/2" long. The case is inserted into this, cut off with a knife.
Using a set of antique handloading tools:
Prime.
I use equal volumes of powder and shot.
Scoop a charge of powder. Insert card wad, lubed cork wad, another card wad, and seat. Length of wad column is adjusted as necessary. Scoop a charge of shot. Insert thin card wad. Roll crimp. Write load data on overshot wad. I make my own wadcutters, cut the wads using my drillpress. Cork wads are soaked in melted lube. Load 1 to 1 1/8 oz of shot, as appropriate.
 
I've been working this evening at cutting down a few cases to 2 & 1/2" and figuring out a measure for the lead shot. I just was wondering, when you fellows are talking about 1 & 1/8 oz shot, is that the standard oz or the Troy oz? I'm assuming it is the standard oz where 16 oz = 1 lb = 7,000 grains. I don't want to blow my head off, so I figured I'd check.

Another question: I have an antique paper case crimper that I borrowed from a fellow. Once I crimp that case closed, do I need to seal it with something? Seems to me moisture could get in the end of the shell if it isn't sealed with wax or lube or something.
 
Never weighed a charge of shot yet just use a old shot scoop picked up at a gun show always have dropped shot by volume
 
Yes. The measures I use are calibrated, but I never have weighed the charge. You could seal the crimp if you wish. An old method was to dribble candle wax. I suppose you could use varnish.
 
Back
Top Bottom