Need help 600jr MarkV

Cashman1976

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Ontario
Ok so couple details
New Cheditte Hulls skived and purchased as primed skived hulls 3” 20ga
Press mec 600jr markV that i haved for years loading 2-3/4” 20ga
Ive adjusted the column height to load 3” now
Load using published load data from BP and im using all the EXACT components (i wont give load data here)
The pre crimp im using the BP super crown and it works like a camp
The problem is during the final crimp IM either buckling the hull and swirling badly or buckling. Either way the crimp domed like its not closing but there is plently of room to close. Stack height is good im hand packing theae so i KNOW the wad pressure is good and all the way down
Help
 
I have never used a 600jr nor loaded 20 ga(I have the 9000) but am thinking if your distances are all correct for 3" then your Cheditte hulls musn't be strong enough in the shank to handle the pressure needed to complete the crimp
 
Buckling does indeed mean your downward load on the case is higher than it can support, but this is probably because your load is too high, rather than the case being too weak.

Swirls at the final crimp are an indicator of excessive pre-crimp. You might be trying to gather too much material into the crimp, increasing the force necessary. Try backing the crimp starter off some.
 
So pre crimp is the normal "width of a 209 primer" or "pencil eraser". I am using the Super Crown crimp tool from BPI. If I back the cam on the press (final crimp die) all the way off then the buckling stops however not the swirl. When I say swirl check out the photos i posted these are terrible final crimps. As for stack height there is plenty (perhaps even a little too much) room about the overshot card (1/4" ish). I have never loaded new hulls before, is there something I am missing?
 
Back
Top Bottom